TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do your brakes and rotors usually last? My rotors started making the car shimmy when braking at about 12k miles. (I know I'm, seriously overdue for new ones now, but I was wondering how often y'all replace yours.)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
My last set of brake pads lasted for 70,000 miles. ( 4 wheel disc ABS )

I replaced the rotors at 130,000 miles.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I wait till I hear sqeaking. brake pads have a bezeled edge to prevent squeak/squeal. When this bezel has been worn away, you brakes will constantly squeak/squeal. This means you need new pads.

If you feel a pulse when you brake, take out the ABS fuse if you have it, if it still occurs, it's the rotors. rotors can usually be turned two or three times before needing replacement (see manual for specs).

When replacing rotors, be sure to get new pads, and properly break-in the new rotors. Also beware of over torquing the lugs...this can cause rotor warpage.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks y'all! I have no clue which brakes/rotors I'm using. They were the cheapest ones I could get at advance. The car doesn't pulse, it just shimmies and squeals. Plus a nasty mess on the rims.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Sarah, you have a 95, that is the problem. your car and mine have drum brakes in the rear and small rotors up front. This is a formula for disaster. OUr cars are way too big to have small discs and drums. That is why they wear out so fast, especially the way we drive!

K

·
0 Posts
drums???? the 95 i had had four wheel abs discs..... yes the front disc was a bit small for the braking force that those wheels take. Since the front brakes handle most of the braking, upgrade your front brakes. Since you've changed out four rotors you have four wheel disc...... unlike the previous post. The 95 did come with the rear drum brake system on a few models. I would suggest changing your drums to disc, that will give you a little bit better braking.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Speaking of the dum and disc thing...How's a good way to go fromdrum to disc conversion? I want to know how to do this so I can have better braking...Thanx

Wes

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
krusher said:
Since the front brakes handle most of the braking, upgrade your front brakes.
The upgrade to rear discs is very easy, and effective. This should be done FIRST. If you still want better brakes, convert to dual piston calipers in the front.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Yeah, if you can find some good rear discs from a Bird or MarkVIII for cheap go for it. The swap takes around 6 hours depending on circumstances. You also want to get the e-brake cables too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts