TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in both of my new cars for one new one in order to get my finances reduced because my wife just lost her job.

Among other things, this means that the tbird will be promoted to vehicle #2 and will start getting getting driven pretty regular again.
So I am finally going to have to break down and do some maintenance on her.

It’s a 93 5.0 and has 148,000 miles. The only maintenance I have done since owning it is the following:

Tires
Brakes—All new rotors and pads 4 years ago
Oil changes(every 3k miles)
New battery(three months ago)
Changed the tranny fluid and filter(about 4 years/12 miles ago).
Cleaned the MAF and replaced air filter(recently)

To my knowledge, EVERYTHING else is stock.

My question is—What else should do I need to replace from a maintenance standpoint? My list so far is the following:

Plugs/wires/cap/rotor
Coolant
Perhaps the serpentine belt?

Is there anything else I need to replace? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
You could check/change the fluid in the rear diff. Check the belt for cracks, peeling, noises. I've always heard that cap/rotor don't realy need to be changed, along with the wires bout everyone seems to do them anyways. Check the coolant itself for oil, and flush it if it looks realy dirty. Depending on your needs, you may want to get new shocks and struts. Look for metal shavings, oil, stuff that dont belong where its at

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, and i hope my car will still be running good when i hit 148K

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've noticed quite a few posts here where they had 250,000 and more, some without ever having removed a valve cover. My '92 has just over 140,000 and doesn't look like it'sever been molested. My '85 I've had since new, and it's had a water pump and timing chain back in the early '90s.

Caps and rotors were more critical when points and low energy ignitions were the norm, used to replace points and plugs every 10,000 and cap & rotor every other change. Good quality stuff should last much longer now.

Normal maintenance and just keep stuff fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Personally, I would change the cap and rotor as well when you do the plugs and wires. The rotor well wear from pitting and heat, and the cap will let moisture in even with the smallest crack. You may want to "feel" all your coolant hoses (especially at the clamp area) when the motor is warm. You may have a soft spot that you may not be able to see from a visual stand point. Grease what ever needs it in the front end. Lubricate all your hinges, locks, etc.. Wipe and clean and protect rubber moldings (they will stick the door shut if they get wet and freeze). All little armor all will do the trick. Clean your windows inside and out (Fogging). Check all your lights, maybe clean the headlights if they are ratty looking. If you plan to drive it in winter weather, get a good set of snows (on seperate rims), and put some ballast in the trunk for traction when you take it out. Hope that helps a little :D Take care!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My cougar's engine has nearly 200,000 miles on it, and was put in place for an engine with 138,000 that had a rod knocking, and was about to blow. It was leaking coolant like crazy when we put it in, so we changed the cooling system. An engine tune-up also seemed to add a lil' pep to it, even though I used stock OEM Motocraft plugs, and cheap Autozone Duralast Rotor Button/Distributor Cap/Wires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts