·
Registered
41 Posts
a piece of art......nice

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,363 Posts
Now those are purrrdy! No floor pan bashing?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Q: Don't you need each of the longtubes to be of the same length? How do you control for this or is it something that's not necessary...

·
Super Moderator
7,559 Posts
Q: Don't you need each of the longtubes to be of the same length? How do you control for this or is it something that's not necessary...
The closer the tubes are to the exact same length, the better the scavenging effect will be, and the more performance you will get out of it. Even most of the off the shelf long-tubes don't have exactly the same length tubes though, just because they have to work within the space they have in the vehicle, just like guitar maestro is doing. Regardless though, even if one or 2 tubes are a couple inches longer, you will still get much more gain from long-tubes than shorties or mid-lengths.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now those are purrrdy! No floor pan bashing?
I thought I would have when I was messin' with these last year. Turns out, they need to be aligned by attaching the transmission and bolting it in place; otherwise you can't be sure if everything is lined up the way it should.

plenty of clearance, even with 3" collectors

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
That is A LOT of custom work and they look great, GM!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As always, Murphy shows up. Here you can see how the #7 shifted a bit (probably due to welding heat/metal contraction) right where it needed to be welded. Better now than later find that the flange no longer meets up with the exhaust port. Oh well, just a tad more and almost there.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tubes shifted a tad towards the head, with too much of a gap to fill in since the tubes are only 16ga (0.050") thick. This is the #8 primary:

The #7 that snakes in between two other tubes was easily fixable; I just sliced the previous weld and added a short section to bring the final weld joint back into alignment. The #8 was trickier, because there was no such previous weld joint that I could easily add onto to bring that misalignment back in place. So what I noticed was this (mocked up with two other pipes):

I had two tubes with non-coinciding centerlines. If I could make a small "slanted" tube to take up the misalignment where that red parallelogram is drawn, but not so slanted that it makes for a rough transition, everything would be nice and dandy. So I went to work. With math.

Since the tube centerlines were parallel and non-skew, all I needed was the angle from the vertical, shown in purple here:

Since those blue dashed lines are essentially parallel, if I know the purple angle inside the green triangle, I automatically know the other purple angle that slants from the vertical so I can set up my metal chop saw right away without guessing.

Here you can see the approx measurements. The centerlines were off about a tenth of an inch, and I wanted to make the new slant approx. 0.42". This was as far as I could go because then the tube curves upward, so this is as smooth as a transition that I could afford. Here you can see where I easily figured out the amount I needed to slant cut some pipe:

So 13° later, I had this piece. No guesswork, no need for eyeballing, etc.

Lo' and behold, it fits darn near almost perfectly.

Prepped for final welding:

Final fitup:

Dinner calls now, so I'll stop here for today. Final pics coming soon.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,363 Posts
Math teachers... :tongue:

I had to dust off the old trig memory cells for a bit of home theater design the other day......

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am amazed by the creativity in this project. I looked under the hood and had trouble visualizing where all of that tubing would go. Especially on the steering side. Are you removing/ rerouting anything in the car? Warren

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That one was a bi*** to weld "on location":

the last weld that needed to get done. How the hell am I supposed to weld the backside with all the other tubes?

tack welded at the top and bottom, then cut out a little "window"

Cut a one-piece cover from another pipe that will repair the window that was cut out

welded the inside back arc, and ground it down smooth enough that it wouldn't hinder the exhaust flow

views of the cover welded on

Done and ready to be sandblasted and painted tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts