TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right now I'm on this train of thought where I think making a Saleen Thunderbird would be cool. This is what my process would be. Of course this is just an idea and I probaly wont do it but I wanted to know what people think and if anyone has done this.

At this point the car is mainly stock and won't have SALEEN anywhere on it
1) Lower the car
2) Saleen replicas from the custom wheel shop
3) Spoiler (mine doesn't have one, so I might just add a stock one, or one that kind of looks like a 1997 saleen mustang, but I'm not really a fan of how they look so they wouldn't look exactly like one)

This is when I would start calling a Saleen Thunderbird
4) Decals, custom gauges and different badges(SALEEN on the windshield and the one with the lines and the S, probably would have most custom designed)
5) Body kit

Anyone done this and pictures, or anyone wanting to PS some would be great.

The only thing I am struggling with is that my car is a v6. But, if you recall the Saleen Explorer XP6. It was a complete mistake. Saleen accidently got a few v6 explorers instead of the v8s, so instead of taking the time and money to replace them (because they would have lost money) they just threw the same appearance package that came on the XP8 and sold them. Now they are pretty rare, some say only 10 exist. There are currently 6 officially accounted for.

Edit: (deleted the fake story I made up because I don't really want people focus on this, more on just the idea of how it'd look)

·
Super Moderator
12,529 Posts
There was a guy who went by Gagfish that had a Saleen Tbird that he built. Unfortunately his website dissapeared about a year ago.

The car was white with black detailing and white Corba R replica rims.

Unfortunately I didn't save anything from his site before it went down. May be someone else here has something they can share.

Also: See THIS THREAD

As far as the BS story. That sounds like some of the crap we've seen on Ebay recently.

Creative certainly, but it's not going to hold a bit of weight with those of us in the know about these cars.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your in the know about these cars you hopefully know there was no Saleen Thunderbird, I'm thinking the story will be used more on some mustang or chevy guys. Or import guys, they'll buy it.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would have thought he would have put saleen rims, or at least different than fan blades on there.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,529 Posts
You may know what the car looks like. But I think that link is intended for the OP and the rest of us who haven't seen the car before.

And I must say, It's not a bad looking car even if it is a slow ass V6.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,468 Posts
Get off the train.

-Joel
X2.

So if I wanted to feed someone some BS I'd just say that happened, or something similar. Maybe this is how it would go. Ford wanted to make a new performance Thunderbird to top the SuperCoupe so they originally asked Saleen if they would help out. Ford asked Saleen if they would design a performance package for the Thunderbird. Saleen didn't want to go forward with it because they figured it wouldn't flop. Ford offered to provide a handful of cars for free to see how the buyer's reaction would be. Saleen said they would only do it if Ford payed for the development also. Ford said they would pay for half and Saleen agreed. At this point Saleen began development, but people in charge of this project on the Ford side was irritated with Saleen's demands, so they decided to try a shot at this and the SVT Thunderbird began development. Ford, in anticipation of the Saleen Thunderbird drawing in more money for Saleen and less for Ford then their SVT would, they sent Saleen only V6 Thunderbirds for the free ones they promised. Saleen was furious and was only able to put the appearance package and some suspension upgrades on since they were designing engine mods for the V8. After the few V6 Thunderbirds were made and a year of terrible sales, they canned the project and never asked for the V8 Thunderbirds that they desired. Ford, seeing how bad the Saleen Thunderbird went along with the decreasing sales overall with the Thunderbird line, decided to cancel production all together.
You put way too much thought into this, and its not very good.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would put more thought into how you want your car to look/perform than a lame story. Just make your car look how YOU want it to look and forgo attempting to create a mystique that no one would really care about anyway. If I was speaking to a guy that had a nice looking car, but went into a bs story about its origins, I would walk away thinking he was a d-bag. My respect would go from 100% to 0%. My advice is to build a nice looking car and let it speak for itself. 'Cool' is not achieved through a window decal and a 'rare car' story, but rather tasteful personalization you like.

If you want to build a Saleen 'bird, go for it, but tell people it's YOUR vision of what a Saleen 'bird would have looked like.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good points guys. I think if I were to do this now, I'd make it look like a "Saleen Thunderbird" but would probably not put any real saleen badges on it. Mine is a V6, and it's not fast, but it's got some stuff done to it. The basics.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
If you had a V8, I'd humor you and go along with it - but being a V6, I say don't bother. It would be a waste of time I think.

-Melon

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Not do any of it, or just not say it's a Saleen?
Don't do any of it. Think about this. You want to try and do up your car as something it is obviously not. You want to lie about it to make people think you are cool and legit. You're all show, no go. Sounds like a riceboy to me. Anyone half ass familiar with Saleen will immediately know you're full of crap, and treat you accordingly.

Listen, you're what, probly 16-17? Your car is a very good first car, just enjoy it for what it is. Save your money, and get a REAL Saleen if that is what you want. I personally think the time and effort could be spent much better elsewhere than making yourself into a poser and lying about your car... i.e. COLLEGE. Doing a tribute is one thing, but it needs to be done carefully and well. Not like this.

-Joel

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
....If you want to build a Saleen 'bird, go for it, but tell people it's YOUR vision of what a Saleen 'bird would have looked like.
EXACTLY... do with it what you like... but be honest. I don't go around saying that my car is a "rare Thunderbird GT"... I tell them that IF Ford had built one... this is my image of what it would look like...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts