TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you replace the secondary catalytic converter on a 96 4.6 with an X pipe from mandrel exhaust will the car throw codes or anything that would prevent it from passing inspection?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
IIRC, it shouldn't. The third cat is not monitored by the computer. Do they do emissions testing in Texas?

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
:confused: Aren't they different sizes? I think the stock pipes in that location are like 2 or 2-1/4" and the Mandrel exhausts X-Pipe is 2-1/2" and the X-pipe is made for a tru-dual system.

How do you plan to address that?

You can't just replace the secondary cat without replacing everything behind it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think so the last time i got it inspected they just hooked it up to a computer and i guess i need to measure those pipes i didnt really think about that

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I think they hooked it up to a computer to see if it was throwing any codes. Thank god where I live in Virginia, they don't care about emissions.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
if you replace the secondary catalytic converter on a 96 4.6 with an X pipe from mandrel exhaust will the car throw codes or anything that would prevent it from passing inspection?
You wont need the 3rd cat to pass but you will need the front 2 to pass the visual if they check that. Once you cut off the 3rd cat any muffler shop around here can make the system fit your stock exhaust. The pipe sizes will be different but they will just use some reducers to make it work.

Welcome to the forum and when you get a chance check out the Texas chapter and introduce yourself in the Houston thread.

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
Im sure they will charge a little more. You should be able to buy the parts and take them with you. Then all they will do is charge labor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay cool thats what im gonna do, by the way what do you think of the dorman control arms cause my bushings rotted and i gotta get new ones

·
Texas Chapter Director
5,173 Posts
I got my arms at Advance. They use TRW and I havent had any problems since. If you have never done them and need pointers let me know I live on the SE side of town.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts