21 - 40 of 701 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wonder if they sell just the X pipe..

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm so glad you posted this, I was just starting to look for mandrel bends to do it myself. My wife may not be too happy with you though :)

By the way, I emailed them last night to see if they will sell the downtubes w/o cats and what the price is. If they are reasonable, I will pick up the full kit without cats for my car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Please let us know what they say about a "no cat" down pipe. My cats have 180k miles on them, so I know they are going to be going out eventually.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
I wonder if this setup would work on my 1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport with the 5.0 HO?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I wonder if this setup would work on my 1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport with the 5.0 HO?
The collector location is different for the downtubes, and the gas tank is different in the older cars. You should be able to at least use the midpipes if you go to the newer gas tank.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
...By the way, I emailed them last night to see if they will sell the downtubes w/o cats and what the price is. If they are reasonable, I will pick up the full kit without cats for my car.
Definitely let us know what they say. I will be finishing my Kooks install this spring and would love to purchase this whole system to have a local shop hook them up.

·
Registered
917 Posts
i will look into this when i redo my setup it looks like a steal as i paid 3xx for my exhaust an i provided the muffler and tips...

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I bought mine w/o cats back a few years ago from trubendz.com

I bet they will still sell them catless.

I used Magnaflows, but they didn't fit great...had to extend the side pipes coming around the IRS and angle the mufflers down. You need a compact muffler. As these kits are sold you will still need to modify them to tuck the mufflers in the stock location if you can find small enough mufflers. The angled pipes around the IRS aren't long enough to tuck things up nicely. I had a guy custom do the rear end and add the 3" tips seen in the picture.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's what I was concerned about. I've got the SC GFX, so tucking it in isn't so much of a problem, since it's all hidden, but the muffler has to have room for a 90 degree bend just after it. It's too bad they didn't do a single 45 degree bend after the IRS and just have us run the mufflers at an angle.... Actually I may just do that, have the exhaust guy cut the middle of the bend (just after the IRS) so it becomes a 45 degree bend, then run the muffler at an angle from there...

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
So what modifications would be needed for the kooks to work with this?

-Joel

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Here is the reply I received this morning from them....
Bummer. I am thinking that I will still buy the setup and then put the cats up for sale.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Yea me too. If you go to their website, you can also order the same kit in 304 Stainless if you wanted to spend the extra cash.
I considered the stainless but my factory exhaust on both the T-bird and my '93 Ranger have no rust after 15 years so I think aluminized will be the most cost effective.

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
I considered the stainless but my factory exhaust on both the T-bird and my '93 Ranger have no rust after 15 years so I think aluminized will be the most cost effective.
+1 on that. My exhaust is also spotless after 15 years.

·
Registered
236 Posts
+1 on that. My exhaust is also spotless after 15 years.
Yea same here, no rust here. Plus my car doesn't see rain or snow so I'll get the mild steel as well.

I just emailed the guy back to ask if he would honor the ebay shipping price of $25 for both halves because the website price is $45. Dont want to go through ebay/paypal... Waiting to hear back again...

21 - 40 of 701 Posts