TCCoA Forums banner

141 - 160 of 701 Posts

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Well crap I knew I should of jumped on this sooner. Looks like they got rid of free shipping.
FYI Guys this may help you on the free shipping . Got this email from them

Yes, you can use our website. The shipping discount from ebay is $30.00... You can enter the code "EBAY30SHIP" on our website during the checkout process. This is a promo code for use on our website.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Got this email from them today. I have to say this IS the right way to do business!!!

Good Morning,
I’m writing this email concerning your recent order from us for the Thunderbird Exhaust System. It was discovered the day after we shipped your exhaust, that a section of the system might have the wrong style connection used for installation. We processed a 2nd shipment the following day and sent a new part to be used for installation. There is no action needed on your part, you can choose to keep the left over part or recycle if you choose.

We think this occurred because the order was shipped in 2 boxes. None-the-less the 2nd part shipped will solve the installation.

For the record, you should be receiving 3 shipments from us. 1. The catback and mufflers. 2. The x-pipe. 3. The additional/new part used for installation.

Enjoy the new exhaust,

Josh
TruBendz Technology Inc.

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
thunderchecken or trunkmonkey, can you help out a fellow mid atlantic guy? if i send you some eversized paper would you mind making a tracing of each individual piece? that would really help me out in a couple months. let me know if you can help. thanks.

-John

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Keeping it Joe .I am thinking and hopeing that the catback will hook up to my new tubeing

Just unboxed the monster all parts in one big box :eek: And yep my Dynomax muffers will pop right on.
Joe your more than welcome to the pipes from the Cat-Back

·
Banned
198 Posts
hey if joe dosen't want them

I Would Like Them Pipes From Cat Back:d

·
Registered
236 Posts
Exhaust INSTALLED! The good, bad, and UGLY

Well guys I got my exhaust installed this morning.
First the good:
The back half was pretty well spot on. Everything lined up right and worked ok. Since I have SC GFX, I can't run the pipes straight out the back so we had to shorten the back part to move the muffler back from the bumper cover a bit so he could do a turn-down.

Now the bad:
The X-pipe lined up ok, but it's pretty much impossible to make it a slip-fit. One really needs ball & Socket clamps. Also on the front part of the X-pipe, its very difficult to get the pipes on. You have to put them on then raise the whole front half up into the car. I had that part welded so it's not coming back apart.

And the UGLY:
The down tube on the passenger side is WRONG! Anyone out there who bought the front half of this system should definitely test fit this piece first and decide whether you want to return it or "make it work". I chose to make it work. The angle of the downtube is off a bit, so the side of the cat is physically touching the starter. In addition to that issue, the O2 bung is pointed straight at the bellhousing where the starter mounts, making it physically impossible to get the O2 in there. I think even if you installed the O2 and raised the downtube, it would still hit. It's definitely not right and not something you can fix in your driveway without a welder. I had my exhaust guy cut the pipe off just after the cat. That allowed us to rotate the cat just enough to allow the O2 to clear and stop the cat from touching the starter. Then he modified that downtube to align with the new location of the cat and re-welded it. While we were looking in the end of the cat, we also found that they pushed the pipe too far into the cat housing, This causes a lip inside the cat all the way around. I'm sure this will catch airflow and cause turbulence inside there. I'm not sure how crucial that is, but there wasn't much we could do about it.

Overall impressions, It's a good system from the X-pipe back, very nice bends and I'm sure it flows well. I do have quite a drone around 1400~1800 rpm that I really dont like. Since I have 373 gears, I'm at 2200rpm @ 70mph so it's not too bad on the highway, but cruising around town I'm in that rpm range a lot. I will probably ditch the X-pipe and go back to a small mid-mount muffler to cure that.

Here's a pic showing where the O2 is pointed right at the bellhousing.

And here's where the cat was touching the starter.

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
My system was catless so I never saw that issue with the cats when I had my car. Good luck to you guys that make the purchase. That cat is VERY close to the manifold for some reason.

·
Registered
236 Posts
yea I think catless would be fine if they rotate the O2 bung a bit. I would have preferred to go catless myself but they denied my request for that. Fortunately there is good news in that. Anyone who wants to go catless, can just cut off the cats and run a straight piece of pipe and will still be able to take advantage of the mandrel bends on both ends. I think they put the cats so close to the manifold to tuck them in nice and high.

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
Jason,

You should email them those pictures and the description of the issues that you ran into and see what they say. It may not help you since you've already worked the problems out but it will help the rest of us who's orders may not have shipped yet. Thanks for the great post. It helps to know what we may be up against.

Darren,

I don't believe the saying "You get what you pay for" applies here at all. We all paid a fair price for a product that should work out of the box without the issues that Jason just described.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Very true Ron.Going to make mine work regardless :) My Mufflers at the back should fit nicely. Going to put in new Sensors as well

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
Gonna pay 'em a visit!

Hey guys,

I just realized, Mandrel Exhaust Systems is in Miami and I'm headed there on Monday.

I'm going to swing by their shop next week and check it out. You know, say hello to the guys and talk to them about these installation issues and see what they say.

I'll take pictures and let you know what I find. Is there anything that anyone wants me to ask or find out? Let me know.

-Ron

·
Registered
236 Posts
I did fire off an email to them today. Not to complain, but more to let them know they have issues they should work out asap and they may be having a lot of people complaining.

For $300ish on the front half, I think the fit should have been better. I'm sure it's a small tooling issue on their part and hopefully they will correct it for those who have not had orders ship yet. The back half was most definitely worth the price paid.

Good luck to those of you still waiting for install.

141 - 160 of 701 Posts