TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my car has a pretty good manifold leak. They whole exahaust has been replaced except for the manifolds, and the sound still exists. I can hear it bouncing off the curb all the time and it gets on my nerves. How are the manifolds attached to the block. Obviously by bolts, but is there a gasket or anything in between the two? I suppose I can try tightening the bolts, but I doubt it will do any good. Any other suggestions?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
the manifolds are attached to the heads ;) i didnt have gaskets, but i threw some on when i did my header swap. funny you mention a leak after having your exhaust replaced, cuz i got the same thing, except i did it in my driveway. i had a leak coming from both sides from the collector to downtube/cat area. i bought new nuts for the manifold studs, and they were the wrong thread type. i couldnt get them tight. i found one of the old nuts, took off the wrong nuts, threaded the old one back on to make sure it went on smooth, then went to a hardware store and got four of the correct ones. worked like a charm. make sure your manifold threads are rust-free, or it wont seal all the way. take a small wire brush to the threads. it would be better to remove your manifolds again and clean the studs holding them to the heads. you dont want them to leak, so clean all the threads real good all at once. take one of the manifolds with you to the store and make sure they thread on smoothly. good luck man.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
big mike said:
the manifolds are attached to the heads ;)
Duh me. Thats what I get for posting at 2:30 in the morning. Where did you get the gaskets at Mike and how much did they run?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts