TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy rods and pistons, and I was wondering what some of you "senior members" have chosen. There's only a hundred dollar difference, so money isn't an issue. I just didn't know what minor differences there are between the two that would persuade me to buy from one company as opposed to the other. TIA

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
FYI, I think Dirtydog is/is going to be a distributor for Mahle.

-Rob

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
I'd question the connecting rods in both of those packages. I really haven't heard much about the Prime One brand, and the other package doesn't even tell you what brand the rods are.

The other thing is that one package has 16cc dish pistons and the other has 18cc dish pistons. Which do you need?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yea forget that ebay crap and get authentic rods....if you find some "manleys", they should be laser-etched with the "manley" logo right on the rods, or "Ford SVT" if they came from a terminator cobra......otherwise, they are not authentic manleys

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The mahle pistons have impressed me the most for these motors. The come coated with the coated skirts as well. The tool steel wrist pins are nice and tey are lighter than stock making it less expensive to have the complete assembly balanced afterwards. Depending on what you want to do a set of the cobra rods could be an inexpensive solution for the rods. You can't go wrong with the manleys however.
Alan

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rod,

You're right as far as the rods not showing a brand. I've thought about asking, but if they were all manley, or mahle products I would get them. The pictures show differently, but it might be one of those "actual item not pictured" type things. As far as dish goes I'm thinking probably an 18cc, because I pretty much need to run pi heads for the fact that I'm using a lightning manifold. I don't like the idea of potentially running 20psi through rtv'ed coolant ports. Also, the guy just says to specify in the order dish size and bore diameter in the order, and they'll supply free of charge.

Maestro and Dirtydog,

That's cool to know about the Mahles, but I read somewhere about a difference in bore diameter with coated skirts. This guy was saying that ford recommends too tight of a piston to bore clearance for forced induction, and running coated pistons doesn't help. I know the stockers are coated, but he was saying most of the problems with 03-04 cobras deal with the pistons. Maybe with .002 honing, but my block is already good to go. I've got 1,200 to get rods and pistons. I plan on making 6-700 rwhp. I can't use cobra rods, because I'm not building 4.6. Man, I really didn't want to say anything about it until I was done, because there are soooo many tards that get on here asking about it, and NEVER do it. I know "it's a downgrade", but I'm not building a 9000 rpm drag car, I'm building a 600 horse street car that makes great low end and is a blast to drive.

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it's a low low mileage block. It's damn near brand new. That's why I was going to use standard bore pistons, but was worried about the coating on the mahles since I'm going FI. I was saying maybe get it honed if I decided to use the mahles, but I'd like to get some feedback on the coating question. I heard it from a guy who is very reputable, he's not your average "mustang guy" spouting incorrect crap.

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
I'd plan on honing the block to fit the pistons. I replaced the ceramic coating on the combustion surfaces of the pistons with a better coating, but I kept the skirt coating as supplied by Mahle. IIRC, with "stock bore" sized pistons, the cylinders were honed .003".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts