TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if it is possible to switch a manual SC to an Auto. It came stock with an auto tranny but was changed a few years ago to a manual. Would the swap hurt the engine at all? And how easy would it be to do?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
There seems to be less drivetrain loss in a manual tranny due to less moving parts.A manual is also lighter than an AOD.But an AOD can be much better for drag racing if built right.If it was originaly an AOD than I am sure it won't be to hard to swap back.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
It would be very easy, and no it won't hurt the engine. What you will need is
-flexplate
-aod trans
-brake pedal from an auto car with ABS (unless you don't mind having the small brake pad still)
-trans harness (unplugs inside car under center of dash)
-auto shifter and cable
-auto console top
-auto driveshaft

That should be it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to see if it is worth it. I would be buying it from a friend and I am not sure how much he would want for it but it isn't worth more than $1000. But it also needs all new front suspension. I am thinking that it isn't going to be worth it and I just need to start looking elsewere. Once i do the Tranny swap and fix the suspension that alone will be over $1500. That is just the stuff it NEEDS. It also has practically no leather left on the seasts, the speakers don't work, and it would need a new windshield.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Why not keep the 5-speed in there then? That makes it a lot more fun to drive.

·
Registered
674 Posts
whats wrong w/ the manual? is it blown up? let me know if you decide not to get it. I'm lookin for a fixer upper SC, i'd be happy to travel to KC for it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't drive a manual b/c I wear a size 17 wide shoe. I have tried many times and my foot hits the brake pedal and the clutch....

351cat, He is asking $1200. There is nothing wrong with the manual tranny. The suspension isn't as bad as I thought, it only needs ball joints and tie rods. The windshield is craked a little and the leather seats in the front are torn up but other than that the car is pretty good. He also has quite a few extra parts sitting in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
If there's nothing wrong with the trans, you would probably be able to find someone with an auto car that wants the 5-speed and just do the swap to both cars at the same time.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I can't drive a manual b/c I wear a size 17 wide shoe. I have tried many times and my foot hits the brake pedal and the clutch.....
I wear a 16w and drive mine with no problems, geo's on the other hand suck to drive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts