TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am about finished with my SC suspension swap on my 1989 Thunderbird, I am considering an MT swap. Now in order to do this I would need the clutch, flywheel, transmission, and SC pedal assemblies, correct? I would not have to mess with the computer because the AOD is not an electronic transmission correct? Also if I did an MT swap, what transmission should I use? I can use an M5OD, I already have experience with it since I have that transmission in my 1989 F-150.

Has anyone swapped a ZF5 into a Thunderbird? What about one of the Tremec Mustang transmissions? The 3.8 NA has the Windsor bell housing pattern correct?

Thanks. :)

A ZF5 for reference, Windsor bell housing pattern: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ford-1988-zf5-transmission-and-transfer-case_W0QQitemZ250615569688QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a59da1d18

·
Registered
893 Posts
No worries on the computer as you're correct, the AOD is not computer controlled. However, both that ZF5 and the M5OD will put the shifter in an entirely wrong spot, unless you like your shifters under the dash. The SC had an M5R2, which is similar to the M5OD and M5R1, but the differences make them somewhat non-interchangeable.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
There are a couple more parts .. Pressure plate, Master and slave cylinder, clutch fluid line and resivoir, new pilot bushing and throwout bearing. Plus a different length driveshaft. Then might need the 5 speed console top ..

I may have a couple parts in my yard here - 89-93 m5r2 w/ slave and shifter - no knob, 5 speed shaft, 94/95 clutch and pressure plate and maybe the clutch fluid resivoir. Let me know. ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I did this very swap a couple years ago. It wakes up the 3.8 quite a bit, best mod by far that I ever done to a 3.8 n/a. Its all plug and play if you use SC parts including a M5R2 and a mustang flywheel (I have the flywheel you'll need for sale). If you need any advice or help let me know, since your local.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks guys. It will be a month or two before I decide as to what my plans will be, but really with the low cost of the parts, it will pay for itself with the MPG savings. What kind of fuel economy do you get BayBird?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Alright thanks guys. It will be a month or two before I decide as to what my plans will be, but really with the low cost of the parts, it will pay for itself with the MPG savings. What kind of fuel economy do you get BayBird?
Around 19 city, 30 highway.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So today I finally got the transmission, driveshaft and console top from a junkyard car in order to do the swap. Going back tomorrow for the pedals, ebrake, and clutch cylinders. Whats the procedure for removing that stuff?

Also, since I bought a Mustang flywheel, should I buy a Mustang clutch also? Or should I grab the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate off of this SC?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
One note: I used an 93 ECU (the last ECU to use a non-electronic transmission) with my 95 tbird 3.8L when I did the swap.

The car worked but there was one slight hiccup:
If your car was in gear and you pulled your foot completely off the gas pedal but did NOT push in the clutch pedal (coasting or engine braking essentially), apparently, there was some line of code in the stock ECU programming that would cut off the fuel temporarily.
This would cause the engine to lean out and throw a check engine light.

This did NOT affect the drivability of the car (fuel delivery would resume as soon as you pressed down on the gas pedal again) nor did the leaning out cause any damage as it was NOT done under load. When I mentioned this minor annoyance to Don @ Lasota Racing, he knew exactly what the issue was and could fix it with his chip reprogamming.

Bottom Line: Do the swap -- it's totally worth it.
If you encounter the same issue as me (not really an issue as you can always make the CEL go away by disconnecting the battery and you can teach yourself that if you do want to coast to make sure you depress the clutch pedal), the solution is to pay $175 for chip.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One note: I used an 93 ECU (the last ECU to use a non-electronic transmission) with my 95 tbird 3.8L when I did the swap.

The car worked but there was one slight hiccup:
If your car was in gear and you pulled your foot completely off the gas pedal but did NOT push in the clutch pedal (coasting or engine braking essentially), apparently, there was some line of code in the stock ECU programming that would cut off the fuel temporarily.
This would cause the engine to lean out and throw a check engine light.

This did NOT affect the drivability of the car (fuel delivery would resume as soon as you pressed down on the gas pedal again) nor did the leaning out cause any damage as it was NOT done under load. When I mentioned this minor annoyance to Don @ Lasota Racing, he knew exactly what the issue was and could fix it with his chip reprogamming.

Bottom Line: Do the swap -- it's totally worth it.
If you encounter the same issue as me (not really an issue as you can always make the CEL go away by disconnecting the battery and you can teach yourself that if you do want to coast to make sure you depress the clutch pedal), the solution is to pay $175 for chip.
Thanks for the heads up. Do I need any kind of harness for the transmission or does it plug in the same under the car?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BUMP Looking to tear into this the week after next, finally. So I need a new pilot bearing and throwout bearing? Those are just regular SC parts right? And should I use a Mustang clutch with that Mustang flywheel?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts