TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok question for any auto gurus. i known only so much about how an automatic works. i do understand how a convertor basically works, some about stall speed, lockup, and some of the internal parts.

My trans is a 95 4r70w of course completly stock with 130k miles and no tune. I have manualy shifted my trans daily for years now. i hate the way the 4r70w shifts with the computer for one and the softness is unwanted and as ive heard soft shifts are actually a killer of the trans (low presure=less grip during lockup or what is it???) like i said some areas i need to start learning more.

Things i have read is lifting during manually shifting, downshifting hard, and keeping an auto in 1 or 2 for extended periods of time can cause oil seal damage due to excesive presure and clutch failures??

so basically does manually shifting put more wear on a trans or in the 4r70w case does the firmer shifts actually keep the trans going longer than the stock soft shifts??

as much as i do love driving sticks i do like the advantage of not having to lift and have the car lunge forward expecially on the 1-2 shift

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Well, manually shifting these transmissions is not the way to do it. Manully shifting uses different components in the transmission. Whether it will wear it out quicker or not on a stock transmission behind a stock engine is debatable. I say that it isn't good for it from what I have seen

The way to do it is to get the proper transmission setup and tune so that the car can shift properly in auto mode.

Darrin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts