TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I finally started the process of upgrading the charging system and much needed front end maintenance. So while I wait on rockauto for the suspension parts I started removing the old 90 amp alt and with the help of Lonnie's alt bracket I started mounting the new 130 alt but ran into a snag. On the lower mounting hole on the alt I had to drill out the hole to widen enough to fit in factory mounting bolt that threads into lower bracket, no problem done. Did not want to remove alt bracket from engine to widen top mount for the larger diameter bolt provided in Lonnie's alt bracket so I just found a longer thinner bolt and nut to work on top mounting alt bracket. So the problem is I can't get the bottom factory bolt to thread in on the lower inner part of the alt bracket. It seems like the larger alt is obstructed by engine bracket. Do I have to grind it down somewhere? I have the instructions for Lonnie's bracket but doesn't indicate a fitment issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
Hey folks I finally started the process of upgrading the charging system and much needed front end maintenance.

So while I wait on rockauto for the suspension parts I started removing the old 90 amp alt and with the help of Lonnie's alt bracket I started mounting the new 130 alt but ran into a snag.

On the lower mounting hole on the alt I had to drill out the hole to widen enough to fit in factory mounting bolt that threads into lower bracket, no problem done.

Did not want to remove alt bracket from engine to widen top mount for the larger diameter bolt provided in Lonnie's alt bracket so I just found a longer thinner bolt and nut to work on top mounting alt bracket. So the problem is I can't get the bottom factory bolt to thread in on the lower inner part of the alt bracket.

It seems like the larger alt is obstructed by engine bracket.

Do I have to grind it down somewhere? I have the instructions for Lonnie's bracket but doesn't indicate a fitment issue.
You had time to type all that, but no time for hitting the enter key to make it readable?

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Can you post a picture of the obstruction? Have you asked Lonnie about the issue directly?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That doesn't sound right. Can you post a picture of the obstruction? Have you asked Lonnie about the issue directly?
By all accounts it should be a drop in but no I haven't written Lonnie but I will now thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: got a hold of Lonnie and sure enough the upper mounting ear on the bracket closest to the engine needs to be ground down a bit to fit that enormous alt. many thanks to all.

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
My bad, writing is not my strong suit but many thanks for the vibrant example.
No problem; punctuation and grammar go a long way toward easy communication. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts