TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to convert to a MAF, especially if I am going to be doing some upgrades. It would be easier to tune. Do I just need to ECU, the harness, and the MAF? How involved is this?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
you need a donor car for the eec harness and ecu 91-93

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How large is the harness, and does it require removing the dash at all? If it does I'm not sure if I would attempt that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Keep the MAP,, unless your gonna put in a large cam then the MAP should be fine.. the EEC does have a decent amount of adaptive learning available.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
If you DO decide that you want to do it, it's about the same procedure on the 3.8 cars as it is on the 5.0L cars and a few minutes on Google will get you a couple of pretty good writeups.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
How large is the harness, and does it require removing the dash at all? If it does I'm not sure if I would attempt that.
no, but you have to remove the glovebox and cpu and the connectors in the rh kick panel. it the the whole right hand harness you need and the engien overlay as well .

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
if going boosted just stay with the speed density it will actually be easier than having to calibrate a maf. if you really want to do some major changes anyways look into megasquirt stand alone the basic ecus start at 250 and go from there depending on the options they have a few different upgrades since its came out. you can use your stock wiring harness and you just have to steal the pins from the stock ecu. http://www.megasquirt.info/ theres alot to learn about engine managment but if you are willing you can have full range adjustibility and diagnostics. megasquirt can also be setup to just control fuel and timing too if you wanted it too. theres lots of options

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well to bring this back up again, I did grab the wiring harness and ecu out of a 91 on Saturday. Not sure if I got everything though. Think I need to go back and get the engine over lay part since I grabbed the main harness. Is this correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts