TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, DvlBrd is droppin a mar. TC into his bird, the flywheel won't match up -- any ideas as to whats going on and why it won't match up? (sorry, he's kinda tied up at the moment)

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Is he using the Mark VIII flexplate? Will it not match up to the TC or to the back of the crank? I didnt think my Mark VIII flexplate was going to bolt up to the back of my crank, 3 of the holes would line up while the other 3 were just a little off. I had to rotate the flexplate around one hole at a time until thay all matched up. I guess it has its own "bolt pattern"

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Dennis mentioned something about a flexplate....

maybe call him tomorrow morning and ask??

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
na, the bolts line up to the crank just fine, its the bolts of the TC -- he thinks the flywheels are all the same (all thunderbird flys) and not a mark8

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
These are crappy (webcam) pictures of the offending flywheel/flexplates. I think they are the same damn ones. I was supposed to get a Mk8 flywheel ...
The T-bird one is clearly marked (one on the right):

Individual shot of my 'bird flexplate:

Here is what I am calling the "mystery plate" until it is ID'ed. It matches up exactly with my stock one, except for the fact there are only two ... holes ... rather than three (compare both pics and you will see what I am talking about):

For fun, here is the Marauder torque converter:

Here is my problem: BOTH flywheels will attach to the stock one and the Mark8 converter that is sitting outside (at least, I was told it was a Mark8 converter), but neither will attach to the Marauder one.
This sucks.

Also, thanks Jesse for starting the thread based upon my pissed off phone call to you. I know you have nothing to do with this, but you have always been a good friend that listens when I complain or $#%*& about something.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Are there any I.D. numbers on the flexplate that is supposed to be from a Mark VIII? The service part number is F3LY-6375-A, so the stamping number on an original part should start with F3LE or something similar ... F3L means 93 Mark VIII.

If you find a number on it, post it here, I'll try to tell you what you have if I can.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

·
2,028 Posts
fast Ed N said:
Are there any I.D. numbers on the flexplate that is supposed to be from a Mark VIII? The service part number is F3LY-6375-A, so the stamping number on an original part should start with F3LE or something similar ... F3L means 93 Mark VIII.

If you find a number on it, post it here, I'll try to tell you what you have if I can.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO
I am going to go back outside and see what I can find. We're packing up for the night. I'm going to take EVERYTHING to ford with me tomorrow and find a damn flywheel that will work.

If I find a part number, I'll post up. Thank you Ed for always tryin' to help. :)

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
66dvlbrd68 said:

Here is my problem: BOTH flywheels will attach to the stock one and the Mark8 converter that is sitting outside (at least, I was told it was a Mark8 converter), but neither will attach to the Marauder one.
I dont think that Mark 8 TC that you have is a Mark 8 TC if your stock flexplate fits it. I think you have two stock flexplates and two stock converters. Does the TC you think is the Mark 8 look any smaller than your stock TC? Is it the same size as the Marauder TC? I would take the TC you think is the Mark 8 and try to match it stud to stud with the Marauder TC.

·
2,028 Posts
Aaron and James, thanks for your replies ...

Aaron, I put them on top of each other and both my stock (dead) converter and the "used Mark 8" converter are THE SAME SIZE. The only difference is that the "Mk8" one does not have a drain plug ...

The Marauder one is substantially smaller ...

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
well im the reason why he has what he has...i dont know how he got a tbird TC and flywheel but id guess my....i dare say this...friend...has something to do with the diff tc and flywheel going on...im going to find out today....ill check my garage to make sure i dont have a flywheel from a gt mustang just siting around....but my tranny....had....a gt TC on it and a gt flywheel...so i will find out and get back to on ya it and all but im seriously pissed....i guess the use of my garage by certain people will stop

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
66dvlbrd68 said:
Aaron and James, thanks for your replies ...

Aaron, I put them on top of each other and both my stock (dead) converter and the "used Mark 8" converter are THE SAME SIZE. The only difference is that the "Mk8" one does not have a drain plug ...

The Marauder one is substantially smaller ...
The mark8 and mara TCs are the same size. I think he was right when he said you have 2 stock flexplates and two stock TCs.

My mark8 flexplate bolts upto my mara TC just fine.

·
2,028 Posts
Aaron K. said:
Mike and Matt, do your Marauder TCs have drain plugs? I dont think any of the Marauder TCs have them but I'm just curious.
No drain plug on mine. I think GB (Matt) and everyone else is correct. I have two stock converters. I am going to get on the horn with Dan Newman as I type this and order a Mk8 flexplate. Not one single place in town has one. Hell, the SVT dealer in town ... the guy said the part number was not in the computer and that he "doesn't know anything about Lincoln Mark 8 flexpltes working on a Mustang, or vice versa." :mad:

So, I give up. I am ordering the flex plate and going to have the car towed to a transmisison place and have them install it. Logistics of getting help from people and random BS like parts breaking (bolts, etc.) or parts not working have hampered this project from the beginning. I need my car to get around (only vehicle I have) ... so it looks like my "save $$$ by doing it yourself" has turned into a 4 month expensive layoff.

*sigh*

I am going to go bang my head on a wall for a while ...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Make sure you get the correct hardware if you don't already have it ...

F1AZ 6379 A is the number for the bolts for the flexplate to the crank, they come in a package of 6, the proper amount, about $2.00 each. And F6AZ 6441 AA, package of 4 at about $1.50 each, are the flexplate to converter nuts.

Good luck with it,
cheers,
Ed N.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts