TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in putting some U/D pullies on my 96 4.6. I was searching around on summitracing and came across these http://store.summitracing.com/partd...924746+4294925232+4294839035+115&autoview=sku i was wondering if these would work? And i see that they are steel. Is the steel construction going to be a big drawback? I also noticed that these pullies are very cheap, is there a negative reason for the low price? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I think March pullies are what I have on the LE. They worked pretty well, no problems with them. If they are what is on the LE, they are the piggyback style.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought i read somewhere that piggyback style can fail easily? Is this false? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also from what i understand ANY pulley set designed for a 94-9 Mustang GT will work on my car (96 4.6L). Thnaks

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I don't think the piggyback style is what fails. They are called "piggyback" because the crank pully mounts onto the original crank pulley. Most people who use Piggybacks don't inspect the original crank pulley for wear (the rubber between the two parts of the pulley can get old and brittle). The extra weight of the piggyback pulley may just be too much for it. Having said that, I can say that the pullies on my LE never gave me any problems at all.

sCrEaMiN BiRd said:
Also from what i understand ANY pulley set designed for a 94-9 Mustang GT will work on my car (96 4.6L). Thnaks
Thats correct. Any Mustang pullies from 94 to early 01 will work. In late 01 they changed to a different water pump pulley from what I understand.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh okay. I just thought that i read somewhere to stay away from piggyback style pullies. Did you notice any difference in performance when you swapped your pullies out?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
A little. I think it makes a bigger difference to the 3.8 birds than the 4.6. Its a percentage thing. The underdrives can save you XX horsepower. The 3.8 puts out less than the 4.6 so the underdrives free up a greater percentage of the available power in the 3.8. (at least thats the way I understand it)

I mostly put them there because I figured every little bit helps, they were inexpensive (relatively) and easy to put on.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm okay sounds good. I guess you dont know why the pullies that i listed were only $50? Thanks for the help bro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts