TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
After they come in go to autozone (or where ever) in a different car. A different car is so that you can take out the alt in the bird (only three bolts). Bring it with you. Buy a Pulley puller ($12-15) and have them swap out the alt pulley while you are there for free.
This is the article to follow. http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/pull1.htm
I recomend taking the fan out because it will give you much more room to work with. Also when I did mine I drove a hour to a friends house. Then wore some gloves and was able to handle the hot pulleys and put them right together instead of boiling water and doing that.

Good luck

-Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
hire someone!

I had my March pulley set installed at the local garage for $50. Money well spent...job was done right and my knuckles aren't bleeding!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: hire someone!

birdofprey said:
I had my March pulley set installed at the local garage for $50. Money well spent...job was done right and my knuckles aren't bleeding!
****, if I can find some shop to install them for around $50, then I wouldn't have to spend the time/effort to do it. Normally for me when I start fixing/modding any of my cars, the mod/repair never goes how it should and ends up costing way more money and time than I plan on.
I should be in the 14's after the pulleys, so I am eager to get them on.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
I checked my local shops. One wanted $100. I got them for only $58 so I'm not paying almost double to have them installed. Another shop was like "sure we'll install them. So what are they, just pulleys?" I said forget it and I walked out of there. They only wanted $50 but didnt even know what they are. So like I said I got one thing swaped for free at the auto store while I bought the tool for $13. And I got the experience of doing the mod myself. Not saying everyone can due to where they are located and what not but my personal prefference is to do as much as I can even if I mess up. It's just part of learning.
-Shawn
 

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
Joined
·
844 Posts
If you can't work on your own car you should own nothing but a stock car.

Btw...you'll probably gain just as much by losing the gfx and the rims. Just my $.02

Pullies aren't hard to do...just do it. Much more satisfaction to be able to do things yourself on your car....gives you that feeling of accomplishment and maybe even a slight understanding of your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
seabass said:
If you can't work on your own car you should own nothing but a stock car.

Btw...you'll probably gain just as much by losing the gfx and the rims. Just my $.02

Pullies aren't hard to do...just do it. Much more satisfaction to be able to do things yourself on your car....gives you that feeling of accomplishment and maybe even a slight understanding of your car.
so true. i remember my first oil change, ah the memories.

i mean sure you can hire someone to do it for cheap, hell ive done it for people for a six pack, but all they do is sit there watching me and slowly realize how easy stuff like that is. if you cant handle a pulley install, what are you gonna do when it comes time for the AED, hmmm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
hey aaron, i have the tool for pulling the crank pulley, let me know when you need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
U/D pulleys - Cinstral

Cool. I should have them in tommorrow. I really don't know why these other people are acting like I can't do work on my own car. I guess they got the wrong idea when I said I would pay $50 to have some shop do it. As you know I try and do whatever I can to my car(s).
I'll let you know when I am ready to install them.
Later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
seabass said:
If you can't work on your own car you should own nothing but a stock car.

Btw...you'll probably gain just as much by losing the gfx and the rims. Just my $.02

Pullies aren't hard to do...just do it. Much more satisfaction to be able to do things yourself on your car....gives you that feeling of accomplishment and maybe even a slight understanding of your car.
Just so you know, I never said I can't work on my own car, and I never said pulleys were hard to do, all I said was I would give a shop $50 to do it so I wouldn't have to mess with it. I do almost all of the work on my cars.
BTW, you probably are right about the gfx and the rims adding on a lot of weight (I assume that's what you meant), but **it, I don't mine putting extra mods in my car to make up for the weight of those things that make my car look like it does :)
Thanks though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Re: Re: hire someone!

Aaron_T said:


****, if I can find some shop to install them for around $50, then I wouldn't have to spend the time/effort to do it. Normally for me when I start fixing/modding any of my cars, the mod/repair never goes how it should and ends up costing way more money and time than I plan on.
I should be in the 14's after the pulleys, so I am eager to get them on.
Thanks
What other driveline/engine/electrical mods do you have done to your 96/97 Bird to make it run low 15's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
tools, time, and money

Hey Seabass, I think that you're a bit overstating it: "If you can't work on your own car you should own nothing but a stock car. ....Pullies aren't hard to do...just do it. Much more satisfaction to be able to do things yourself on your car....gives you that feeling of accomplishment and maybe even a slight understanding of your car. "


To the first point, it's mostly true. "If you can't work on your own car" presumes a lot: one, do you have the skill to do the job; two, even if you have the skill, do you have the prpoer tools; three, even if you have the skill and the tools, do have a place to do the job safely; fourth, even if you have, the skill, the tool, the shed, do you have time? Answer all four yes, then by all means do the job and get that satisfaction of knowing that you turned the wrenches that built the thing.

To the second point, "...you should own nothing but a stock car" is too much of a knee-jerk reaction if you don't the reason why the first clause (if you can't work) applies.

And lastly, I think it is a bit foolish to undertake any job if you don't begin with "even a slight understanding of your car"; i.e. that means you don't have the skills. To me, if you don't understand the mechanism your about to fix or upgrade, you have no business taking the damn thing apart in order to "figure out" what it does and why. Let's take the "PI" heads for example. Most people on this list have a good feeling that it's certainly an upgrade from the stock heads. I also would wager, that many people on this list have never seen a head removed any car, let alone personally performed the task to take one off. To those unitiated shade tree mechanics, should they forgo this upgrade until such time that they possess the personal skill to do it, or the proper tools and place to do it?

Although swapping the pulleys is a DIY "doable", if you're not properly equipped or just plain uncomfortable doing it without some coaching, then don't be lame-brained and matters worse by doing it yourself...get some help. And if you dont have a buddy who has the time to show you for repayment of a couple of cold brews, then hire someone with the skills. Or perhaps you're in a situation like I had where time was (and still is) precious, and since I already have extracted plenty of DIY satisfaction just needed to get the job done quickly and properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
not to start a war here but I think all you need is the tools and the space. Some people live in apartments and might not have as much space as those with a garage to work in.

Skill and time is all something you can eventually come by. Sure if you wait and wait nothing will get done but sometimes you just make time or find oddball times. heck if you have your own place to work in like a garage then whats to stop you from working until 2 in the morning (right JustinH?). Skill you dont know if you have it unless you try it. Beleive me, I have not dont much car work myself before my tbird. But one day I felt I have heard so much on this tranny mod people talk about and decided to do it for my self. It saves money and that was a big plus. So I wound up doing that mod not only once but twice (on another persons car with that person). So sure if its taking apart the engine or dropping a tranny you kinda need certain tools and space but many things a jack and some jack stands can really help out to get it done. I wouldn't personaly do heavey engine work on my own car but hey, the more and more I think about it how hard can it be.

So if you have to pay for it for whatever reason then go ahead. It's no big deal. But if you can do it your self it would only help you to learn more if you do.

Good luck,
-Shawn


Aaron_T: I think your car looks good. With some nice mods you would have a good balance of looks and performance there. Heck even if it does add weight, if you like it then thats what you should do. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shawn40th said:
not to start a war here but I think all you need is the tools and the space. Some people live in apartments and might not have as much space as those with a garage to work in.

Skill and time is all something you can eventually come by. Sure if you wait and wait nothing will get done but sometimes you just make time or find oddball times. heck if you have your own place to work in like a garage then whats to stop you from working until 2 in the morning (right JustinH?). Skill you dont know if you have it unless you try it. Beleive me, I have not dont much car work myself before my tbird. But one day I felt I have heard so much on this tranny mod people talk about and decided to do it for my self. It saves money and that was a big plus. So I wound up doing that mod not only once but twice (on another persons car with that person). So sure if its taking apart the engine or dropping a tranny you kinda need certain tools and space but many things a jack and some jack stands can really help out to get it done. I wouldn't personaly do heavey engine work on my own car but hey, the more and more I think about it how hard can it be.

So if you have to pay for it for whatever reason then go ahead. It's no big deal. But if you can do it your self it would only help you to learn more if you do.

Good luck,
-Shawn


Aaron_T: I think your car looks good. With some nice mods you would have a good balance of looks and performance there. Heck even if it does add weight, if you like it then thats what you should do. :)
Thanks, I plan on doing some major mods in the future - Super, heads, etc.....I won't drive my T-Bird in the winter (here in Alaska), so tht saves miles, and time to mod it up :)
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WaLieN said:


What other driveline/engine/electrical mods do you have done to your 96/97 Bird to make it run low 15's?
The funny thing is, there really isn't much done to it -
K&N panel filter
Air Silencer removed
Stock mufflers cut off/replaced with a new y-pipe/muffler like exhaust tips
The end of the list
best time 15.12
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
Re: tools, time, and money

birdofprey said:

Seabass doesnt know what hes talking about...


thats what i got out of it anyway.

when it comes to pulley installation, all it requires is the time and the right tool. it doesnt require a garage, it doesnt require a lift, it doesnt even require nice weather.

i dont think what he said was an overstatement, in fact i think it was quite the opposite, a simplification. were talking about a pulley install here, not an engine swap. i think what he said is quite applicable. i mean, how can you have big plans for heads and blowers if you dont want to swap pulleys yourself? the point is it doesnt matter if you can pay someone to do for cheap or even get it done for free, the point is you should do it yourself for the self-gratification and experience
 

·
The Band, not the Disease!
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
The best I ran at Joliet was 15.02 at 92mph, i need to find my slip.. All I had was a removed air silencer, and a K&N.. (plus a little weight removed from my car and some nice goodyear ultra radial GT tires on my pair of old 95 tbrid rims i aquired) it was about 75 degrees, and 50 - 60% humidity... "Werty", that 1 time at US 41, it was in April or May I think, I asked you to use your K&N and I ran a 15.08 or something? Would you possibly remember? thanks! (that was on the stock 215 Firestones too)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
OMG i spent 12 hours putting thoose damn things on!!!

OMG I spent 12 hours putting those damn things on!!!

What I learned:
First when you try to take the pulley off the alternator yourself "without an air ratchet” you’ll never get it.

Second when you give up and call AutoZone up and they say yeah just bring it in and we can get it off with are electric ratchet, don’t over react and jump for joy cause when you get there and its 1:30 in the morning and they say, "Err yeah someone dropped the ratchet and we don’t have any others" You are gonna be really pissed off.

Third: Don’t go to Wal-Mart and buy there 12v dc ratchet, wont do anything but catch on fire, TRUST ME!!! It does!!!

Fourth once you finally take the pulley off by other means. Be Creative!!! Good luck on the dampener pulley bolt, it’s even more fun!!! YOU MUST HAVE A AIR RATCHET OR SOMETHING OF THAT NATURE CAUSE U ARE NOT GONNA JUST BE ABLE TO GET IT LOOSE WHEN ITS 3:30 IN THE MORNING AND U ARE USING A REGULAR RATCHET AND A BREAKER BAR>>>


Fifth: By then you are thinkin I'm stupid for not havin a freakin Air Ratchet and tryin to attempt this job. Well fine how bout I go and get one at 4:00 in the morning>>


Sixth: Well Meyers is open 24 Hours and a buddy of mine “Who talked me in doing this simple job that night" had a 10% off card. So what the heck.

Seventh: Not only did it take an hour to get help in the automotive department but all they had was a 4 gallon tank and a 22 gallon tank. Well I don’t think I can fit the 22 gallon in a car>>>. Hmm well, Hey look an air ratchet for $29.99 sweet deal, Right?? Cause the frigin compressor was 178$


Eight: When u get home and start hitting that bolt for over an hour with all your new toys and it doesn’t budge, you begin to scream

Ninth: So friend says hey how bout we go over my dads house he has a shop! Um a shop!!!!! Now you tell me this, Omg..................


Tenth: you go over friend’s dads shop. After putting car back together so u can drive it there. Next take everything back out and get ready to use friends dads compressor with Meyers air ratchet...... Still nothing


Eleventh: at this point u throws the ratchet away and try friends dads old one.


Twelfth: Vzzzzzzzz......Comes off in one try.....Ummmmmm kkkkkkkk wow that was a fund 15 hours!!!!


Thirteenth: Wow since now you’re a pro at taken everything in and out 5 times u can but all the new pieces in, and it takes you 30 min!!!!!


Well the point here I am tryin to make is "Don’t even try unless you have a AIR RATCHET and a really good old one rated above 90 PSI, Least that’s what the Meyers one was rated at>>>>>>>>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put mine on last Saturday. I was able to go to a friends and use his impact wrench, so it took less than an hour for everything. Guess I should feel lucky:). The funny thing is, I was just gonna try it out in my own driveway w/ no air ratchet/impact wrench, appearently it's a good thing I didn't try it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
What Kind of Increase???

Can you tell a diff. with the new pulleys?
I am asst service mgr @pepboys so ive got a shop to do them.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top