TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the time out this past weekend to upgrade my rusted battery post.the contacts were corroded to the point where the inside of the terminal had no more conductive metal lol..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're not worried about doubling resistance?
I read that 4 is the smallest you can go. Resistance can double up but can handle the inrush initial cranking amps. Stable amperage it can handle.

Ill put it on a multimeter later on in the week to verify ohms.

Man...... Looks like I might as well do it a different to save myself potiential issues down the road. Smh...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp just said f it and cut both terminals off lol. Ordered some 1 guage butt splice and wire. Now it won't be any doubt at all!! Especially with all the plans I have in store for the bird.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I thought paint was a no-no on electrical connections?

Al

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Insolated from electrical contact? I have marine posts as part of a Big3 update, they are bare.

Al

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
Correct. Anti corrosion protection.
And then you put a butt splice into it, and use a marine terminal.

Dude, that's just ... not thinking things through, that's for sure!

Because that bolt and wing terminal will corrode; there's no use in epoxying the outside of the marine terminal with that there.

Also, that butt splice will corrode if the terminal would have.

You're begging for problems.

I'd get someone who has welding cable make you complete battery cables instead of butt splicing it.

Well, hell, that's what I DID for both the Dakota and the Cougar ... gaugewireandcable on eBay is one source I've used just recently.

RwP

Reactions: Muscle&Thunder

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And then you put a butt splice into it, and use a marine terminal.

Dude, that's just ... not thinking things through, that's for sure!

Because that bolt and wing terminal will corrode; there's no use in epoxying the outside of the marine terminal with that there.

Also, that butt splice will corrode if the terminal would have.

You're begging for problems.

I'd get someone who has welding cable make you complete battery cables instead of butt splicing it.

Well, hell, that's what I DID for both the Dakota and the Cougar ... gaugewireandcable on eBay is one source I've used just recently.

RwP
I didn't put epoxy on it. It was bought like that. It will take periodic maintaining. I didn't go crazy when cutting the original wire. You are right it will corrode after many many years. They do the same in in the field when I was an electrician. But this correct, the more break points the more for spark gap oxidation and galvanizing corrosion. This was a good starting point from what I had before.. which was two batt post that could hardly even start the car because the metal literally wasted away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts