TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
included is a picture of a mark 8 aux trans cooler made for hot weather that i just
got from black cat. seeings i got rid of my parts book pages, i have a couple ?s
for you gurus. number 1--where did it and how was it oriented on the radiator
support ? will be hooking it up on my 94 cougar. number 2 -- how did the lines run?
anyone have the parts fiche picture of the setup? i have some lines and fittings that will need to be replaced that came with it. cooler part # F8LZ-7A095-AA..
it looks like whoever used this didnt hook it up in conjunction with the radiator
cooler but stand alone. it does have lincoln bracketry on the cooler. need to know how
the factory ran the lines. thank you for any help !! irv toms
edit--i did get an extra nos cooler with the setup. it will need it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is one of those fittings bent, or is it supposed to be that way?
both are bent .have an nos one in the box to use. just want to know where lincoln mounted it
to the rad support or elsewhere. has the factory brackets and bolt s.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,574 Posts
It looks like it's supposed to be bent like that, oddly enough.

This cooler appears to have been installed as a part of a TSB only. My 98 doesn't have it; had it been installed it would have needed the install kit.

The FN10s have extra brackets and braces up front between the condenser and bumper cover, not present in our MN12s. My guess is it attaches to that. You'll need to get some flat stock and drill it to fit custom.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,705 Posts
The radiator support forward is the most structurally different area on the FN10 vs MN12 so there's not going to really be a factory correct way to mount it. Perhaps the scale is deceiving but it looks awfully small to me for it to be worthwhile to install, these transmissions need all the cooling capacity they can get, that one looks like Jerry and the beancounters duked it out with the end result being a recall cooler JUST just barely adequate enough.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was told it was a retrofit hot climate dealer installed unit. an installation kit was required.
no pics currently through dealer parts. cooler measures
3-1/2x11.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,574 Posts
Yeah that is too small to run by itself if you're bypassing the heat exchanger in the radiator. In addition to (plumb it in after the radiator exchanger) it will probably keep you maybe 5 degrees cooler than stock.

A B&M 70264 would be the smallest I'd go to ditch the radiator exchanger. That's 14x11.5. I did that on the T-bird before the current setup and it would keep the trans under 180, which is what you want.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
probably easier than plumbing both together. was gonna use the ford one in tandem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts