TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to put a fiberglass mark 8 hood on a 97 tbird?
The front is different but can it be easily modded to work?

·
Registered
111 Posts
No, the dimensions are too far off to make it work without a large amount of effort, at which point it wouldn't be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
Only way I can see to do that would be to put the entire MarkVIII nose on, but then the shape of the fenders wouldn't match with the shape of the doors, so you would have to cut apart and weld back together 2 sets of fenders to make the body lines match. So yes, it is technically possible, however by the time you do all this work, you might as well just buy a fiberglass tbird hood.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hmm. A Mark VIII front end on a T Bird body. I may have to try that someday...

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Reactions: Woodman

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Mikey, can I put the hood on and cut and refiberglass the front of the hood to tbird configuration?
As long as the fender height is the same, and you have the skills to swap the front ends of the hoods ( getting the right bonding agent for the glass / composites ) - then yes, it could be possible - the hood latch is in the same position and you would need to use the Mark hinges but they will bolt up to the Bird body. I have actually been considering this since I have a spare Mark hood in my yard, but no concrete answers as of yet. Honestly I wouldnt bother much for weight savings with a fiberglass hood as I would for engine clearance. A lot of these aftermarket hoods need a bit of work to get them to fit correctly without using hood pins.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Is this a factory hood? I thought they were aluminum.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
VFN has a stock style 96/97 fiberglass hood.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
re

Thanks again Matt, didn't know the 97 hoods are aluminum, I just thought all of them were fiberglass. Well, I will wait for a 93-96.
Thinking bout swapping the hood on to a 96 tbird which is in the yard too. Then I can see all the points.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts