TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read that people on the board are doing this but I havn't really been able to get a good idea of why. I've only seen bits and pieces of what people have written.

Can someone explain in better detail of why you would put Mark 8 LCA's on a bird? I've got a junk 93' Mark 8 out on my dads property with the rear LCA's just hanging there by a couple of bolts and was wondering if I should do anything with them. Especially since my car is coming apart for a gear change this weekend.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
they are aluminum and lighter

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Well, if its a 93 the first thing you should do is yank that 93 driveshaft if its still there... (one-piece aluminum)

Now, the LCA's.. the Marks all had aluminum lower control arms instead of steel. Much lighter. and since they are unsprung, they have a greater effect on handling. To use them you will need to get a set of adapters (available here on the forums from... damn.. forgot the name, do a search). The Marks had airbag suspension and your bird has good ol' fashioned springs. The perches allow you to use springs with the mark LCA's. I'd LOVE to have a free set of Mark LCA's just sitting there! snag em!

Oh yea... the Mark's have aluminum cases for the diff center sections to... keep that.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, if its a 93 the first thing you should do is yank that 93 driveshaft if its still there... (one-piece aluminum)

Now, the LCA's.. the Marks all had aluminum lower control arms instead of steel. Much lighter. and since they are unsprung, they have a greater effect on handling. To use them you will need to get a set of adapters (available here on the forums from... damn.. forgot the name, do a search). The Marks had airbag suspension and your bird has good ol' fashioned springs. The perches allow you to use springs with the mark LCA's. I'd LOVE to have a free set of Mark LCA's just sitting there! snag em!

Oh yea... the Mark's have aluminum cases for the diff center sections to... keep that.
I have already robbed the DS and the rear end....thanks for looking out though.

but back to the LCA's......so I need some sort of adaptors? This is the first I've heard of this. I thought they were a direct bolt on.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yes, they fit in the circles where the airbags normally go. they provide a perch for the springs. I'll do a search if you do.. one of us should find them.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I didn't see any pics of these perches but I have a good idea now of what you need from searching and reading a couple of threads.

I'll probably just end up shining this little idea on. Since I am running the air bag kit in my springs now, I definitly need the perches on my birds stock LCA's.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thats them!!

You shouldn't need the perches for the airbag kit on your stock LCA's... I'd think the kit would be made to work with the stock LCA's.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats them!!

You shouldn't need the perches for the airbag kit on your stock LCA's... I'd think the kit would be made to work with the stock LCA's.

Yes they do. I didn't mean that I need the aftermarket perches.

Meant that I need to keep the stock LCA's for my airbags. I was just calling what my air bags are sitting on now "perches" Sorry I was fuzzy on that.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes they do. I didn't mean that I need the aftermarket perches.

Meant that I need to keep the stock LCA's for my airbags. I was just calling what my air bags are sitting on now "perches" Sorry I was fuzzy on that.
Or you could switch to the Mark VIII LCA's, and get sping perches that would allow your AirLift airbags to work like they do now. And save about 6 lbs. of unsprung weight per side.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105981

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
The Airlift airbags work just fine with the perches if you're lowered 1" or more.

That's the best picture that I have at the moment, but the airbag is in contact with both the upper and lower perches.

·
Registered
343 Posts
im buying some mark 8 lcas where can i get these perches and what bushings do i go with mark 8 control bushings r mn12 bushings?????? should i get the mark 8 driveshaft or should i go elsewhere on my driveshaft,planning to get 3 73 gears

·
Registered
343 Posts
yeah and what do i need to get the lcas installed

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
While the perches are the preferred way to put coils in the Mark VIII LCAs, they are not required. Many of the after market coil spring conversions sold for Mark VIIIs do not include the centering perches for the LCAs.

I did a coil conversion on one of my Marks and did not use the perches, and I did not experience any noise/ shifting issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts