TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, pretty much Immediately after I converted the front air struts to springs my Lincoln developed bad low speed wheel hop. Thought it was my cv axles removed them, didn't look bad but I replaced them anyway. Didn't change anything.:confused:

The "shudder" only happens at low speeds when I'm accelerating from at or near a dead stop. Doesn't happen on deceleration or at speeds above about 30mph. No whining or clunking from the rear end or driveline. Transmission shifts fine. The rear still has the bags which are fully inflated but won't deflate which makes the rear suspension REALLY stiff. Could the air bags be the problem or does my rear end need rebuilt? Real confused at this point and I need some guidance..

·
Super Moderator
4,922 Posts
My suggestion is to replace those 20 year old rubber bushings in the back to DLF's Delrin bushings for the spindles and the LCA/subframe points.

The Lincoln factory bushings were sloppier than the TBird ones, and the TBird ones are known to allow a lot of rear end deflection.

While there, consider doing a new pair of UCA/subframe bushings due to the age.

See if that doesn't help the wheel hop.

If that's not in the budget, then the first thing to replace will be the toe compensators in the back - they're there to help reduce toe changes on accel, and worn will help create additional wheel hop.

RwP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I plan on replacing the tired old bushing along with the rear coil conversion. Delrin bushings would be nice but DAMN,$325 per side is a lil much and for my dd I'd rather just go with the poly or the moog bushings.

I did notice today that my rear wheels are toed in ALLOT.:rolleyes: I'll try aligning the rear tomorrow and see what that does for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,922 Posts
Well, one thing to consider with DLF's prices - you don't need the new toe compensators with his bushings.

ACDelco at RockAuto is right at $100 for the pair, so he's back down to $225. And that's not $325 a side, unless you Delrin the knuckles also. (Still not $325 a SIDE, but $325 a CAR for either set ... makes it a bit less ifyou're doing all). For the knuckles - well, if you're drag racing, there's not really a good alternative, poly's softer than the Delrin and will deform over time. But you CAN use the Energy Suspension poly bushings for the knuckles, and the Delrin for the LCA/frame joints. He's competitive on pricing there, and has a better product.

THAT said - there IS a poly bushing set that'll work for the LCA, but you'll need to keep your old toe comps, or put new ones on.

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts