TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think my torque converter is now shot, so I am looking to get it fixed ASAP. Recently I replaced my motor with a 2002 PI one, so it has a little more power. Is a mark 8 t/c a good match for the PI engine? also, I need the mark 8 flexplate correct?

So what year mark 8 converter is the best to get?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I ran the Mrk converter with my PI motor and while it is better than the stocker I personally don't think it's enough. I would get something in the 3000 to 3500 range myself.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what are they rated at? I really dont have alot to spend here unfortunately or I would get a dirtydog t/c

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Stock 4.6L Bird/Cougar 2012-2375
'98-up Mustang GT...2324...2737 (same as Mark8)
'03 Marauder...2555...3011

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but wont a higher stall rate converter be harsher on a tired tranny? I have doubts about this one....

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I am not to sure how the torque converter is really supposed to work, but it feels like my tc "locks" at 1500, except it seems way to long of a lockup, you can feel it soak up the power as i give it more gas then suddenly it shifts. is that shudder? I know nothing about stall rates either. I just have a stock PI, so what would be a good stall rate for a commuter car be? 2800? 3000? what does the higher rate make a difference on moderate launches?

thanks for any help you guys can give me, this car is almost to much for me

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Marauder Torque converter 2W3Z-7902-AARM and the flexplate
F3LY--6375-A, new in the box. Make me an offer.

Francis

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
96 it sounds like me your SHIFT is when you press the gas so much that instead of bogging the engine down and what not it unlocks the torque converter. you'll hit a certain point where it will unlock the torque converter to I guess raise the stall speed and produce more power. Mine does it all the time here in the mountains if I leave it in OD. I normally just turn it off for city driving.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
96_LX said:
you can feel it soak up the power as i give it more gas then suddenly it shifts.
That's what it is supposed to do. The converter clutch goes into a controlled slip when it begins lockup in 3rd gear. It continues this lockup in forth, with a brief unlock between gears. Supposed to make the lockup unnoticeable to passengers. If you don't want it to slip anymore get a tune or wire up a switch and lock it up yourself. Personally, I can't stand that controlled slip. Nice solid lockup is the way to go! :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts