TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a mark 8 for a while now, i found one. nearly perfect but the guy sold it right after i looked at it. i found another one, its got short of 118,000 miles. but the bad, the transmission is shot. it's for $600. so i was wondering, since i really have no idea about these cars. how hard is it to swap transmissions? whats the horse power of this motor, oh yea its a 1994 also. he also said the air ride was replaced with shocks. if i buy it, what up grades to the transmission would you rectmend? i've got a heavy foot.. so any thoughts? is it worth it?

·
Super Moderator
16,757 Posts
so i was wondering, since i really have no idea about these cars. how hard is it to swap transmissions?
If your mechanically inclined enough, easy but time consuming. You need a good STABLE floor jack or transmission jack(the latter being easier)

whats the horse power of this motor,
280 was the rating at the crank, RWHP tends to be around 230-240

oh yea its a 1994 also. he also said the air ride was replaced with shocks.
Marks already have shocks, he most likely replaced the bags with springs.

if i buy it, what up grades to the transmission would you rectmend? i've got a heavy foot.. so any thoughts? is it worth it?
J-mod and a good converter, also try to find a 4R70w newer than 1998

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they like the thunderbirds? exhaust, fuel tank, drive shaft? or is it simpler? what year transmissions would work and from what? i wanted a 98 mark 8, is it a better idea to hold off until i find one?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
They are almost just like thunderbirds (mn12) mark viiis(fn10) and will share all driveline parts. If I was buying another mark, i would get a 97+ just like last time. They have the mean looking front end and HIDs stock. You can swap in any year transmission you want as long as you swap out the TCC solenoid to make sure it will work with your computer. In all honesty, my 94 bird with a PI engine, gears and chip was quicker than my 97 LSC. I think gears and a chip will go a long way with any motor, perhaps even longer with a 4v in a Mark VIII. The coolest features of the mark compared to the bird are the telescoping wheel and the key on the dashboard instead of the steering column. Other than that, there is no reason you shouldnt go with the bird. I have received more compliments on my mn12s than I have on my fn10s.
-Rob
-Rob

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i cant find a good thunderbird around here, i live in northen minnesota. so rust is always a big problem. i'd love to have a 96/97 bird.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
i cant find a good thunderbird around here, i live in northen minnesota. so rust is always a big problem. i'd love to have a 96/97 bird.
I'm up in Duluth, MN and I found a 1997 Thunderbird with 100K in Minneapolis for $2500. There's a white 1994 Mark VIII literally down the block from my house, it's sitting low on the bags but I don't know how long it's been parked. It has something in the 90K mile range on it, don't remember exactly, but if you want I could go look at it for you and give you a report. One of the problem points on the early Mark VIII's was the headlights, they tend to heat up due to the extreme low profile design and cook off the inner reflector, rendering them nearly useless. Replacement buckets are expensive, and taking the old ones apart and putting mirror polished reflecting surfaces in is time consuming. The 97's and 98's with the restyled front end and stock HID's have a better lifespan.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
No, it's the TCC solenoid that needs to be swapped, not the EPC.
Thanks for the correction... I will correct it in my post ;)
-Rob

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
correct me if I’m wrong but I think a mark with a chip and gear would out run a pi bird with gear and chip. If not very close.
It depends on what year Mark VIII. The general consensus is that a Gen II (97/98) is noticeably slower than the Gen I's (93 – 96) (apparently due to the Gen II’s intake manifold being a POS). :bawling:

To anyone considering a Gen II: The electrical is pretty technical, so if you’re not well versed in electronics/electrical systems, I would recommend shying away from a Gen II.

But just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm up in Duluth, MN and I found a 1997 Thunderbird with 100K in Minneapolis for $2500. There's a white 1994 Mark VIII literally down the block from my house, it's sitting low on the bags but I don't know how long it's been parked. It has something in the 90K mile range on it, don't remember exactly, but if you want I could go look at it for you and give you a report. One of the problem points on the early Mark VIII's was the headlights, they tend to heat up due to the extreme low profile design and cook off the inner reflector, rendering them nearly useless. Replacement buckets are expensive, and taking the old ones apart and putting mirror polished reflecting surfaces in is time consuming. The 97's and 98's with the restyled front end and stock HID's have a better lifespan.
i want a sunroof. lol if it has one, would you go take a look? i will be in Duluth this weekend with my girlfriend for the airshow. 100k doesnt mean much.. i dont want rust either. plus i want a 4.6.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
i want a sunroof. lol if it has one, would you go take a look? i will be in Duluth this weekend with my girlfriend for the airshow. 100k doesnt mean much.. i dont want rust either. plus i want a 4.6.
I didn't see any obvious rust, it's sitting low on the bags though, so I didn't get under it. I'm off work tomorrow, daycare is on vacation so we'll take a walk down and take a look at it. I can't recall it having a sunroof, but I'll look again.

Enjoy the airshow! I wish I could afford to go.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
went to the air show today, it was awesome. goto miller hill mall. i heard you could still see them from there. lol

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
went to the air show today, it was awesome. goto miller hill mall. i heard you could still see them from there. lol
We were all over that area shopping for my fiancee's birthday and I saw the Thunderbirds doing some maneuvers along with some WWII era aircraft at another point during the day.

I ran by the dealership by my house that had the Mark VIII on Friday (got too tied up to report in, sorry), and the Mark was gone. I'm guessing it sold, since it had no rust even though it was dragging the ground.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its okay, it happens. Congrats on the wedding.

Well see i found another mark 8, im pretty sure its a 94. no rust. But heres the problem, 250,000 miles. think its work $550?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
depends how the previous owner(s) took care of it....the inside of the motor could be as clean as the day it left the lot, or it could have 20lbs of sludge in it.......if it was neglected for all 250,000 miles, you're in for a rude awakening when it comes time to repair it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts