TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do the front lower control arms on a Mark have a different part number than the thunderbird? Whats the difference? I know the uppers have the tab for the level sensor, but what is different about the lower arm? Arent the uppers the same as far as shape goes? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,569 Posts
The only difference I'm aware of on the fronts is a small cup washer at the frame connection when the FN10 LCAs don't have it. And the ride height sensor tab is the only difference on the uppers.

The LCAs and UCAs are exactly the same otherwise.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The only difference I'm aware of on the fronts is a small cup washer at the frame connection when the FN10 LCAs don't have it. And the ride height sensor tab is the only difference on the uppers.

The LCAs and UCAs are exactly the same otherwise.
My upper ball joint was worn out on my FN10 and I swapped in the MN12 good UCA I had. I converted to springs anyhow, so I didn't need that stupid little air bag height sensor.

I also swapped the LCA from the MN12 into the FN10 and didn't even notice they were different at all.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
I think it's funny that the arms with the softer bushings cost so much more... Well not HA HA funny...

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I think it's funny that the arms with the softer bushings cost so much more... Well not HA HA funny...
So what y'all are saying is that since I put a Sport TBird LCA on the driver's side of my Mark VIII, but have the original LCA on the other size that one side with be harder & stiffer? :eek:

Say it ain't so! Well, at least the stiffer side is the side I have my fat a** in! :tongue:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
For the most part, the prefix and potentially the suffix will always be different because of desinating application on the prefix and either a revision, color, or some other detail on the suffix, the middle, the basic part number, will typically be the same between ALL FLM vehicles...example, a 96 bird will be an F6SZ is a 96 bird and typically a 96 Lincoln would be F6VZ...then the basic part number, like an 1130 would be a wheel cover and then, say A as a suffix would typically denote something like it is the original version, AA or AB might be a second revision, etc. So say, F6SZ-1130-A = 96 bird wheel cover F6VZ-1130-a = the same thing for a lincoln application, IIRC F6TZ would be a truck, and so on and so on

in the case of the mark arm vs the bird, there are differences, sometimes there may not be a difference, it might be an identical part, with a different part number, and a different price, although many things really are model specific, even if they look the same physically, and do the same thing, bird/mark/ranger/mustang/etc. cruise switches are a very good example of this.

Of course starting in 1999 or so, ford switched up their part numbering system, in the prefix area and now there is this whole other thing going on, for the sake of international business, world cars, etc. It all still has meaning it's just different now. Henry Ford really was a genious to come up with the part numbering system he came up with, compared to the other manufacturers...GM and chryslter and ALL the imports all use very similar, very hard to understand part numbering systems, ford is very, very, very straight forward and easy. Remembering basic number groups and what they all are is really the only difficult part of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts