TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can by a Mark VIII Torque converter for my 94 4.6 bird? I either want to buy that or a Marauder one, since I really don't see the need to spend the big bucks on an PI one right now...and from what I can see, they appear to be the best bang for the buck when it comes to tc and pretty stock cars.

If anybody has a different opinion of what TC I should go with, let me know! I'd be happy to reconsider if I find a better TC for the dollar (if you think morris or something of that nature would be better, lemme know where I can get those...I just want a TC to help bring my times down and accompany my new 3.73 gears).

Thanks guys,
~Matt

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The marauder/mach1 TC stalls ~200rpm higher, and is the same price. You'd still need the Mark8 flexplate though.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
GreenBird said:
The marauder/mach1 TC stalls ~200rpm higher, and is the same price. You'd still need the Mark8 flexplate though.
any low-speed mpg economy loss with a marauder/mach1 TC if my EEC has been jerry-tuned?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Not to butt in on your post BIRDMANT94.......but I have a question for everyone and think it would be better to ask here than start a new thread.

Anyways, I need to know if ya all could suggest a better TC for my '97 Cougar 4.6L SOHC. I already have the MARKVIII TC & flywheel / flexplate. But now I have a whole new motor: 10.5:1 compression, bored .20 over (284 cu.in.), Renegade Stage 3 SVO heads with Comp Cams 102200 cams, Kooks headers, and a bunch of bolt on mods. My question is would I benefit from a higher stall TC.....like around 3000 with this new setup??? And who makes aftermarket TC for the 4R70W's???

Thankx

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
guitar maestro said:

any low-speed mpg economy loss with a marauder/mach1 TC if my EEC has been jerry-tuned?
Yes, but if you have a light foot it won't be noticeable. If you go stomping around, then definately.

Slowride said:
I already have the MARKVIII TC & flywheel / flexplate. My question is would I benefit from a higher stall TC.....like around 3000 with this new setup??? And who makes aftermarket TC for the 4R70W's???

Thankx
Yes. Precision Industries

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
Slowride, are you still running the plastic OEM intake with that setup? I would address that before your TC, as you are choking that motor!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Slowride said:
would I benefit from a higher stall TC.....like around 3000 with this new setup??? And who makes aftermarket TC for the 4R70W's???
Thankx
I used a 3200 stall PI TC on my set up. I like it... Some guys have posted that they ran the Mark for awhile with power like yours, then upgraded and really noticed an improvement. You might want to chat with Eric Z, I think he ran the Mark first. JL also ran the Mark, now I think he's running 3500 or 3600 stall.

I got my PI through Dennis Reinhart. I believe he also sells Morris TC's for our cars that are less expensive than the PI.

TGJ said:
Slowride, are you still running the plastic OEM intake with that setup? I would address that before your TC, as you are choking that motor!
We've chatted a bit about this, he's got about the same set up as mine with some better flowing heads. If he wants more power at the top, he'll get it with a PI, SVO or Bullitt intake, no doubt.. but if he wants to get the most out of his present set up AND the most when he adds the intake, a higher stall converter will be real beneficial. If he's spinning his tires on launch now, adding power will only make it harder to get a good launch. He will make some of it up at the top with an intake, but cutting a 1.7 or 1.8 60' will make a huge difference in his times, with or without a better intake. IMHO

-mike

·
Registered
748 Posts
THANKS GREENBIRD and 96GOLDBIRD. I knew someone made the TC's...couldn't remember who though.

96GOLDBIRD
That's what I was thinking. I'm not spinning the tires right now, but if I drop the hammer, she's alittle "hesitant" until I hit about 2700-3000rpms---then she shoots like a rocket. I think some of it is because she still running rich--waitting on getting her tuned.....but I was thinking the TC is the bigger problem.

TGJ
Yes, I'm still running the plastic intake. I'll be getting a differrent one eventually...either an aftermarket one (if an NPI one comes out) or when I get the $1600+ I need for the SVO intake plus a Cobra R hood from Legendary--another $400. I know the plastic intake is the "choker"....but it will still pull until about 4500 rpms before it actually "chokes" the motor. I'm just trying to get alittle more out of her with what money I have right now. The SVO intake won't happen until late this year or early next year....especially since it looks like I'll be moving since where I work is closing.

Thanx again.
Slowride

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Slowride:

The SVO is actually a bit under $1600. You don't really need the install kit if you dig up a Cobra TB and can fab an EGR tube, or just remove the EGR. And the Cobra hood is not a requirement either. The intake fits under our hood with a little 'trimming.'

Which TB are you running? I picked up about 200 more rpms with a BBK 75mm and pnp upper plenum. Your engine is wheezing out a bit earlier than mine. I got 5200 when I was finally done. Do your Compcams have the stock LSA, or did you get them custom ground??

That PI intake swap really sounds like a good interim measure. 17 more hp at peak and over 30 more hp overall...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well, I just don't like the idea of "triming" any of my original parts....you know, just incase I ever want to go back to a stock look later down the road. *S* I was thinking about just doing away with the EGR when I finally get my SVO intake. I figure it would be easier to fab a block off plate then a new EGR tube....I'll figure that out later. Since I dodn't need the install kit, I was really thinking about getting one of the COBRA after market TB...like BBK or what have ya.......figure that would be better than a stock COBRA TB. The sad thing is.....I'll probably have the TB before I get the intake. *LMAO*

Right now....I'm running the FRPP 70mm TB with stocik, untouched plenum. I've been thinking though about getting a 75mm TB (definately for sure) and either the Trick Flo or Accufab plenum. Gotta find some #'s for the Trick Flo piece and compare them to the Accufab unit....then I'll decide from there. I figure those would get me alittle more......and since I'll have to use them for at least the next year, they would be worth the investment........and I can always sell them later when I get the SVO stuff and get part of my money back. And yes, I've been thinking about the PI intake option too......to get me by with even more increase in power and torque....and with the plates coming out soon at not a too bad of price, it might be a viable option with the TB and Plenum until I can get the SVO unit.

PI intake---about $150
75mm TB---$200+
Trick Flo plenum---$150
PI to NPI plates---$300
Seals / gaskets---$50 MAX for all 4

Of course, I could go with the Accufab TB and Plenum (from what I read so far is the best available)....then I'd be looking at $500+, then add the PI intake, plates, and seals / gaskets on top of that.

Don't know which way I'm gonna go yet....waitting until I get the EEC tuned and the oil thing and exhaust stuff done first......plus I need to compare the ACCUFAB and TRICK FLO plenum flow numbers before I decide anything. PLUS, I'm looking into the Precision Industries TC...and the Morris units.

SO MANY PARTS AND NOT ENOUGH CASH!!!!!!! *LMAO*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts