TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my Mark VIII engine, I want to use what I already have here if I can. But if the most prevailing advice is to maintain a stock engine until the swap is done and wrung out, I can wait.

I have all the air intake parts from a Mark VIII, a Cougar and from a 2002 mustang GT to choose from.

I think that the 2002 GT MAF is 6 wire, 80mm. I want to use this, but the Mark MAF is located within the air box collar. I am unsure the 02 Gt MAF will fit in the same location.

The 2002 GT airbox looks to me like better unit than the others, I want to use this as well but the MAF has to be relocated.

The 2002 air tube looks better too, not sure if that will go in.

I also have a set of Bosch 42lb injectors, but without a power adder it seems unnecessary. Those should be good to around 500hp crank
I got a good deal and they are 6 hole units. Somebody once told me these are a better unit with a finer vapor.

Is there any advantage to the 42 lb green monsters? I have to get the 2002 MAF calibrated anyway, so if it won't hurt anything I am inclined to use them provided Don Lasota gives it the okay.

I could use some advice here on selecting the best parts to use.

Any advice on fitting the 2002 GT airbox into the Cougar or should I simply re-use the Mark box, tube and MAF.

Another item is removing the oil filter adapter thing and using this aluminum adapter.

I am not sure how the plumbing works out with this...not my strength at all. If anybody has used this billet adapter, how did you interconnect the O/F tank, the water from the block and the radiator all to one hose?

I run dual remote oil filters off a spin on adapter. I hate the filter adapter arm, it is a stupid design prone to bad oil leaks and I don't trust those spin on adapters. This billet aluminum interface with threaded connections makes me much happier and I want to use it.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,364 Posts
The GT MAF won't work with the FN10 air box or MAF sensor housing. The 02 GT MAF is definitely better than the FN10 MAF, but if you want to use it you'll need to customize the intake a bit. You could use the GT conical filter air box but you'd need to come up with the intake plumbing to adapt the 80mm MAF sensor housing to the throttle body of the Mark's intake. I haven't measured or checked fitment but I have seen a few photos of adaptations using the Mark's air tube, so it seems doable.

This shows what appears to be an 80mm MAF sensor with the factory air tube mated to a conical hot-air filter... (just stick the snorkel of the GT air box, if you use it, down into the fender well to avoid that).

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,237 Posts
The Mark VIII air tube is too long to fit the GT airbox and MAF in the corner, that’s why I ended up using the Mark airbox on mine since the tube itself is such a great fit. The 80mm GT MAF does fit in the Mark airbox though, it just requires a the long rectangular piece on the bottom of the MAF to be trimmed to clear, otherwise the mounting pattern and fit is the same even got the mesh gasket to work.

The GT MAF won't work with the FN10 air box or MAF sensor housing. The 02 GT MAF is definitely better than the FN10 MAF, but if you want to use it you'll need to customize the intake a bit. You could use the GT conical filter air box but you'd need to come up with the intake plumbing to adapt the 80mm MAF sensor housing to the throttle body of the Mark's intake. I haven't measured or checked fitment but I have seen a few photos of adaptations using the Mark's air tube, so it seems doable.

This shows what appears to be an 80mm MAF sensor with the factory air tube mated to a conical hot-air filter... (just stick the snorkel of the GT air box, if you use it, down into the fender well to avoid that).

View attachment 43818
That sensor is a large c&l. The Ford style sensors are too small for the intake tube opening without using a silicone adapter to step it down

This setup uses the factory 80mm sensor with a coupler sandwiched between the MAF and tube to take up the space

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome replies. Thanks.
Sounds like I will be making it work out, it's good to see options and pictures... mucho thanks.

The engine is out of the Lincoln.

·
Super Moderator
11,265 Posts
The TB end of the mark air tube is the only thing that mates to the oval inlet to the intake, and the mark maf is not as linear as the 02 gt,so some adapting is in order, as shown above. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts