TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how hard is it to replace the front passenger airstrut on a Lincoln Mark VIII?

Sam

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If a mod were to move this to the appropriate forum(suspension) then the idiot who posted in the wrong section would apreciate it greatly... Also for everyone who is going to tell me to go voer to markviii.org, I already am over there researching. I am looking for any first hand opinions about difficulty. I am looking at mark that has an issue witht he front right airbag and I want to know how difficult it is to replace it...

Sam

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
What year Mark VIII is he working with? I checked Ford's Service Labor Time Standards, and it lists 0.8 hours for one spring, and 1.3 hours for both. I read through the procedure in the 1996, 1997, and 1998, and the procedure changes slightly between the 1996 and 1997 MY.

Section 04-01: Suspension and Wheel Hubs, Front 1996 Mark VIII Workshop Manual

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spring and Shock Assembly

Removal

1. Turn the air suspension switch OFF.

2. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Section 00-02. Suspension must be at full rebound.

3. Remove tire and wheel assembly.

4. Remove air suspension height sensor (5359). Refer to Section 04-05.

5. Remove air spring solenoid valve (5311). Refer to Section 04-05.

6. NOTE: Do not remove front shock absorber's large center nut, as this may result in a permanent air leak through top of front spring and shock (3C098).

Remove two screws and front shock absorber strut cover cup from over air spring attachments in engine compartment. Remove three nuts and shock absorber housing seal (18T003). Remove lower nut and bolt to detach front spring and shock from front suspension lower arm strut (3468).

7. Carefully remove air front spring and shock.

Installation

1. Install air spring solenoid valve. Refer to Section 04-05.

2. Position and fasten three upper air spring studs through shock tower, and loosely assemble three nuts and shock absorber housing seal. Solenoid valve socket for either spring should be oriented forward of front spring and shock.

3. Place lower end of the front spring and shock over front suspension lower arm strut arm and loosely assemble with nut and bolt.

4. Tighten three upper attachment nuts to 23-32 Nm (17-24 lb-ft).

5. Install front shock absorber strut cover cup and two screws over top of shock tower.

6. Connect air line and electrical connector to solenoid valve assembly. Refer to Section 04-05.

7. Install air suspension height sensor. Refer to Section 04-05.

8. Refill air spring. Refer to Section 04-05.

9. Replace tire and wheel assembly. Tighten lug nuts (1012) to 115-142 Nm (85-105 lb-ft).

10. Position the vehicle on an alignment rack.

11. Neutralize the front suspension bushings by pushing down, then releasing the front of the vehicle.

12. Tighten the shock absorber to front suspension lower arm bolt to 170-230 Nm (199-243 lb-ft).

For reference:

Air Spring Fill

Turn OFF the air suspension switch. Connect Rotunda New Generation Star 007-00500, Rotunda Super Star II Tester 007-0041B or equivalent to data link connector (14489) located on the front side of the RH shock tower.

NOTE: Lower hoist as required but do not apply a load to the suspension.

Install battery charger to reduce battery drain.

Enter function test to pump appropriate air springs:

212 LH Front-Air Spring.
214 RH Front-Air Spring.
216 LH Rear-Air Spring.
218 RH Rear-Air Spring.

NOTE: Any further leveling (vent or compression) will be done when the vehicle is in normal operation on the ground. (Air suspension switch returned to ON after the vehicle is on the ground.)

Immediately after completion of the air spring fill, inspect all air springs for proper inflation (no folds or creases).

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
1997-1998 MY:

Section 204-01: Front Suspension 1997 Mark VIII Workshop Manual

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spring and Shock Assembly

Removal

1. Turn the air suspension switch off.

2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist; refer to Section 100-02 . The suspension must be fully suspended.

3. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

4. Position the air suspension height sensor (5359) out of the way.
--Release the metal spring clip at the top mount of the height sensor.
--Pop the height sensor off the ball stud.
--Rotate the height sensor out of the way on the bottom mount.

5. Remove the air spring solenoid valve (5311); refer to Section 204-05 .

6. Remove the front shock absorber strut cover cup (18A179).
--Remove the plastic push screws.
--Remove the front shock absorber strut cover cup from the vehicle.

CAUTION: Do not remove the front shock absorber large center nut as this may result in a permanent air leak through the top of the air spring.

Remove the three air spring to shock tower retaining nuts and the shock absorber housing seal (18T003).

8. Remove the front spring and shock to front suspension lower arm nut and bolt.

Installation

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

2. Jounce the vehicle several times.

3. Tighten the lower mount nut and bolt to specification with the vehicle on the ground after the front of the vehicle has been pushed down and released.

Whew!!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Iron chopz... It is actually a '94....

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts