TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the question.......

Do Mark VIII doors fit onto a T-Bird?

simple question, I know that a lot of parts are interchangeable, can the doors be swapped between the two?

Thanks.....

·
Registered
974 Posts
Are you talking about the interrior door panels or the WHOLE door? I'm 99% sure the door panels will but you really need at least the dash from a mark too to match up. But as far as the whole door..........I'm going with a no. They are pretty much the same size, use the same mounts and such but the skin is a totally different shape on the outside.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going for the structual door itself. I know that the interior pannel is different, just didn't know if the door itself would transfer.

Reason is I want to use the Mark VIII door handles on my SC as they have a much more flush profile than the stock bird door handles. And since they are also made of metal and not plastic, they are more rugged.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
96+ door handles :tongue:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
joshbea6 said:
Ok, here is the question.......

Do Mark VIII doors fit onto a T-Bird?

simple question, I know that a lot of parts are interchangeable, can the doors be swapped between the two?

Thanks.....
simple question? have you ever actually looked at a mark 8?

They have a few more curves than birds do

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely forgot about the door contours.........(OOPS!)

I guess I'll have to custom do the handles then.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
If you are going for looks, it should be easy to custom fit a set of 96-97 handles on. If its just for durability, I've had to replace the drivers side handle on two of the past three 97 T-birds I've owned.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's part of the reason that I'm looking to change the door handles to those of the Mark VIII. I've seen the construction on the replacement handles, and the pins that are the pivot point on the handles are pretty stout.

I just completely forgot about the extra contours on the Mark VIII doors...... momentary brain fart until someone pointed it out.....(I hate it when that happens)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I know this is an older post but...

My 1995 Bird has the keyless entry keypad on the door itself. I wanted to replace this. At the moment I am thinking of shaving the handles all together, but I do happen to have a 1995 Mark VIII LSC in the drive way directly across from my 1994 SC parts car. Since I am parting out the Mark, I thought it may be cool to get the handles because the are a flush mounted body color handle wit hthe keypad built right in. I was taken back by the shape of the Mark's door being so different from the Birds as well.
When I took a closer look I noticed that the door handle on the Mark is not as curved as the door it is mounted in. The only problem I am having as that I would rather cut the metal out around the handle and weld that into the t-bird door skin soI have the correct mounting for this handle. That metal IS curved, and also then renders the Mark VIII door useless as far as being able to part the door out as a whole once the handle is gone. I figured the only way to get a sale out of the door on the mark would be to close up the whole after that and sell as a shaved door. Now for the obviouse... if I am going to shave a handle why in h3ll not do it on the T-bird if that is the car I am going to keep???!!!??? I just thought the info on the Mark VIII handle may be of some use for anyone who likes the idea, but doesn't have the 2 cars side by side to compare. If you really wanted to do it the handle will fit really well. You just either need to score the metal from the parts car and be really good at body work, or make your own mounting tabs on the t-bird door skin to accommodate the Mark handles.

See ya~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts