TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i was at a j-yard today and i found a mark viii and decided to ask the guy how much he wanted for the engine and tranny. he said $450. the car has 124K on the odometer. i was wondering if i should attemp the swap into my '93 3.8 tbird and what transmission is in the mark viii. has anyone done this before? if possible, what will i need from the mark viii.

thanks, joey

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
LizGirl did it on her 94. But for a 93 you'll need from the mark:

1. engine wiring
2. computer
3. transmission
4. tranny wiring
5. driveshaft
6. engine mounts
7. tranny mount

It's a lot mroe work than it's really worth to you. Liz started out with the tranny wiring already, and the correct driveshaft. And $450 dollars for a DOHC motor with 124k is outright ridiculous. I just bought a 95 DOHC 4.6 to swap into my 95 for 300 dollars and it has less than 50k on it.

-Thomas

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. im gonna go down tomorrow and ask him if he will give it to me if i give him an old minivan i have... the guy seemed to hate the mark viii so maybe he'll make a deal lol. if i was to spend $450 i would tell him that ill take the whole car, take parts that i need and then give it back to him. so if i did that i could take the rear end. my friend got a olds 350 for $350 and they let him take the car and then when he called to return it they didnt even call him back, so maybe ill be able to keep the car. But ill post something tomorrow when i find out if he'll make a deal.

joey

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
joey, u ever go near the college?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
I swapped a 4.6L DOHC into my 90 XR7. Swapping in a 4.6L DOHC in anything other than a 94-97 4.6L MN12 will require a fair amount of wiring. I completely rewired my XR7 as a 97 4.6L Tbird, then made a few modifications to the engine wiring harness to get the 4.6L SOHC harness to fit the DOHC engine.

Let me just emphasize this though. If you're starting with a 89-93 3.8L MN12, you're in for a lot of wiring.

But it is possible.

-Rod

1 - 6 of 6 Posts