TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: i just recieved my Mark VIII fan from the dealer, When i looked at the connection on the fan, i noticed that it has 3 pins,

- on the left, + on the right , and one in the middle. what is this one for??:confused:

also, how would i hook it up to a 93 3.8 bird?

Thanx for the help,
BKLYNBIRD:)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The middle prong isn't for anything.. its basically a ground that you don't need to hook up.

Let me know how your install turns out... we used twisty ties to ziptie the fan to the radiator.. perfect fit.

If you have charging problems, let me know... also let me know if you actually LOSE power, because I did... ran 5 tenths slower with the fan.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You could wire the fan up through a 3 position switch.
#1 (Racing)to a relay, and feed relay from the same place that the A/C cut out is. This would drop voltage to the relay at WOT, and cut off the fan during short strip runs.
#2 (Normal)feed normal through the fan t stat to operate normally.
#3 (Super cool)Feed the fan direct, to super cool the engine after a run, and prior to the next.

The only problem is the high amps the fan draws, would take a very high capacity switch, and a lot of 10-12 ga wire, or 3 seperate relays to isolate the switch from the high amps.

If you are using a extra capacity alternator, you could also tie it to the relay used to break the circuit under WOT. This way you woul not have the fan or alt pulling HP in #1 racing position. The extra high capacity would quickly charge the battery when you were not at WOT.

The special pulleys get there added power by reducing drag from the alt and fan, if you do it this way, the alt will free wheel, and use no power and the electric fan will not run those few seconds. If done this way, the fan will be cooling, and alternator charging until you go WOT. As soon as you cross the line, cooling goes full, as does the charging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark VIII fan help

It appears that i've drawn a racing crowd with my question on the fan, although my Bird is not a track car, it does have some mods that make it run hotter than your normal street car, as if the 3.8 does'nt run hot enough without any mods.

I heard from the 5.0 guys, that this fan is the only way to go to keep cool. So i figured if the 5.0 guys are keeping cool with it , it should do wonders for the 3.8,right?

I did a google search and found a site link that explained how to wire it to a 5.0 mustang, but it only gives instructions on how to wire it for constant cooling(always on). I would like to hook up a thermostatic switch that would turn the fan on at 190*.

I also hear that this fan draws a lot of amps. I dont think i'll have a problem with that because i have a 130 amp alt. I guess my question should have been...

1) What is the center pin on the fan harnes receptical for?
2) How would i hook up an air conditioning relay to it?
3) what size in-line fuse should i use so i dont fry the fan?

Thank you for the information and suggestions.
BKLYNBIRD:D
93 lx 3.8

8.8 3.73 trac-lok rear
msd 6 ignition
taylor plug wires
colder plugs
tranny and oil cooler
royal purple fluids
custom cold air intake
1.8 roller rockers from Morana
soon to all be cooled by the Mark VIII fan.
i have no idea of the horse power, or torque because i never dyno'ed it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts