TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have a 93 Mark VIII. I would like to make the fan controller turn the cooling fan on low speed whenever the car is running. And automatically engage High speed whenever needed.

Is there a way to jump a wire at the fan controller to make it do this?

I did something a while back with my 93 T-bird SC! Doing something like jumping wires #14 to #17 together made it run all the time in low. Well I dunno if its the same... but if someone knows please help :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I've only seen this 'cooling fan bypass mod' done once on a Mark VIII.

Mine. :D

You can't do a simple switch like the 2 speed fans. The Mark VIII has a variable speed fan controller in the VCRM. Therefore, you have to 'disconnect' the stock control and apply full battery voltage for high speed.

Here's a schematic of my setup...

I started with a 40A SPDT cube relay. Over time however it could not stand up to the current as the wiring terminals would get too hot. After much searching I ended up installing a huge industrial solenoid in place of the cube relay. I used a wireless switch like that available for foglights to manually trigger the fan control.

I later enhanced the circuit by adding a programmable fan controller from Dakota Digital. This allowed the car to be switched from the stock controller on the highway to the bypass control at the track which simply switched the fan on high speed at 180* and turned the fan off at 165* (I run a 160* T-stat). After a couple years of use however, the controller failed and I went back to using the manual keyfob to turn on the fan bypass.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I just looked at the Dakota Digital site and they now have a dual controller to do exactly as your original post inquired? I suppose you could simply permanently disconnect the fan from the VCRM and use this controller to have low speed full-time and high speed at a certain temp. It uses the stock sending unit since it is programmable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts