TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All, I have the Mark VIII engine in my 94 TBird and I'm getting a re-occurring exhaust leaks on the driver's side, you know the manifold with the integrated cat. Looks like I'm going to have to get headers, the only ones that fit that I know of are the Kooks Torque long tubes which sell on the SuperCoupe web site. However, I'm concerned about the steering shaft clearance because I want to have them installed at a muffler shop, just wondering for you guys that have the Mark engine is there really a steering shaft problem for sure because these babies are $800 for the headers alone not counting cats, long wire ox-sensors, and gaskets, also, if you have a Mark engine what kind of headers are you using?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, the Kooks 4V headers aren't really long tubes, more like mid-lengths. You might have to go to an aftermarket rag joint, but other than that you shouldn't have any issues. I installed a Flaming River stainless steel joint not only for header clearance, but also to clear the oil lines for my relocated filter setup.

Here's a pic of them installed in my LSC.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply and pics, but I'd like to see the same pics in a thunderbird.

·
Registered
570 Posts
thanks for the reply and pics, but I'd like to see the same pics in a thunderbird.
I understand, but it's the same floorpan, I own both cars. ;)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
No there are no steering shaft issues with mark viii kooks headers they are the only header that doesn't require steering shaft relocation on the mn12/fn10 chassis. However as DLF already mentioned you may want to invest in a better rag joint assembly since the stock rubber one is likely high mileage and likely need replacing anyway as well as possibly being to close depending on manufacturing tolerances. DLF sells a kit for the MN12/FN10 chassis that's ready to go for a decent price.

Also be sure to order the right mark viii engine 97-98 or 93-96 headers since tbirds never came with secondary air injection and you'll need the right set. Bill will likely help you with that if you give him a call.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
DLF around your cat and trans, what is that peel and seal looking material? Is it stock? sound deadener? heat shield?

·
Registered
570 Posts
DLF around your cat and trans, what is that peel and seal looking material? Is it stock? sound deadener? heat shield?
What you see in the tunnel is stock. The two areas by the cats I added using DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield. There's also a small piece on the side of the transmission pan near the passenger side cat.

More info and pics HERE.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
What you see in the tunnel is stock. The two areas by the cats I added using DEI Floor and Tunnel Shield.
Looks like clean work under there, DLF! Very nice!

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
No there are no steering shaft issues with mark viii kooks headers they are the only header that doesn't require steering shaft relocation on the mn12/fn10 chassis.
No clearance issues here either. I'm running a stock rag joint in my XR7.
No way the stock joint was going to work in my '93 Mark VIII with the Kooks headers. The flaming river joint was a must have.

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
No way the stock joint was going to work in my '93 Mark VIII with the Kooks headers. The flaming river joint was a must have.
Weird. There is plenty of space around mine.

·
Super Moderator
7,557 Posts
Weird. There is plenty of space around mine.

I think that is so cool that your car has a torque chain! I've always loved your XR7, but now I think I love it just a little more.

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
Yours is cleaner... :tongue:

I wonder why our clearances are so different. :confused: It looks like your engine is over to the passenger side a hair more than mine.

I think that is so cool that your car has a torque chain! I've always loved your XR7, but now I think I love it just a little more.
I actually just added that recently. While reviewing some of my in-car track footage, I saw that the SCP engine mounts were deforming and allowing more engine movement than I wanted to see. A welded eye-bolt at the other end provides some adjustability. We'll see how it does come spring. As time and funds allow, I hope to add a few mods over the winter in an effort to lower my 60' times. And thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I actually just added that recently. While reviewing some of my in-car track footage, I saw that the SCP engine mounts were deforming and allowing more engine movement than I wanted to see. A welded eye-bolt at the other end provides some adjustability.
I want to add something like this; I had a stock mount break recently and come apart. Not cool.

Want to sell a kit? :)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Driver's side chains were installed on a few cars in my past (after buying several new motor mounts)!

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
I want to add something like this; I had a stock mount break recently and come apart. Not cool.

Want to sell a kit? :)
It wouldn't be a problem to whip up another one. I'll send you a PM.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I wonder why our clearances are so different. :confused: It looks like your engine is over to the passenger side a hair more than mine.
I think it's equally tight on both sides. I remember gauging the header clearance after the install and it was around 1/4" - 3/8" clearance at the tightest point on each side.

I too love your torque limiter... so old school. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts