TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up another Mark VIII engine. Tonight when looking at the intake tube I noticed it had some support like things running down the middle of it protruding into the air path. The one on my car is wide open though as was the broken one I had before. The previous two were from 94's, what year Mark came with the restricted one with the supports in the middle?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm not going to swear to it, but I think it is either 95 or 96 that doesn't have the brace in it.

I know the ones without the brace are the most sought after Gen I intake tubes for that very reason.

The casting numbers should tell you what year. I have a Ver II Gen I tube (hehehe that's what I call them :leftright ) at the house that I can get the casting number if necessary.

(Can you post or email a photo of that bolt we discussed earlier? I need a starting point) :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have a 95 and it dosen't have that. I know what you are talking about though, definately looks like it's a decent restriction.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, both my previous engines were 94's, the frist one I had didn't have the supports but it was broke, then I bought one from a yard that didn't have them but at that time I didn't even know there was anything different, have no idea what year car that came off from. Then the second engine I bought had a good one on it that I sold that didn't have supports in it, it was also from a 94. So it must have just been 93 and maybe early 94 that had the supports in the tube, unless they changed it for 96, but that wouldn't make any sense. Guess I was kind of lucky previously to have not ever seen one of the old style ones with the supports in it. But I guess we have it narrowed down to 93 for sure. Might be some good information for someone doing a DOHC swap in the future to have...now this will come up in searches even :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
not many have the dimple things in the intake tube. i think it was an early '93 thing, but even that isn't consistent. I've seen all years that didn't have them, and i don't think i've ever seen one that had them except in pictures.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm more unlucky to have found one with the dimples than I was lucky to have found three previously without them...figures that is how my luck normally goes.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Here's the casting number from one that is dimple free:

F3LE-9R504-BA

So it is definitely a 93 casting. I'd bet the dimpled one is F3LE-9R504-AA or just F3LE-9R504-A

At least we're getting some good information documented. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 'dimpled' (them's big dimples) one is F3LE-9R504-AD. Want the part number for the resonator chamber too :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sleeper is correct (early 93s only). My 93 has a build date in April 93 and it is
a smoothie (no dimples).
Mel C.
93 garnet/grey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts