TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally done sandblasting both of my Mark VIII lower control arms. Removed casing marks and a good amount of additional material by hand. They weighed just under 15lbs (half the weight of T-Bird stock) before the final finishing with the bushings installed. I am planning to alodine them just the standard gold color if I don't clear coat or paint them.

My LCA's are less than 15 lbs each, but looks like I still can take a little more material off. I'm planning on installing them to get ready to prototype Sam's retainers. I will take measurements before and after to make sure these will work right.

Here are the arms after they had been wire-brushed. Shiny, but to much work to polish them at the time. I'm picking up ZoopSeal for my wheels and will probably try it on the arms if I get ambitious enough to polish them out.

DO NOT FORGET THE LINCOLN BOLTS! These are no longer available from Ford. Be sure to get them with the arms. They are necessary because of the extra thickness and softness of the LCAs. Bolts are 4.6 inches long, head to tail.

More info to follow, as I get farther along with these projects.
---Max

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did the exact same thing. I sprayed them with plasti-coat clear. They look much better than the stock steel ones that were in my 89 Cougar. I am working on putting it all back together and should be finished in a couple of weeks.

Mike Tuck

·
Registered
803 Posts
Better add that info to the weight reduction thread if you haven't
already.
I wonder how strong they are over the steel.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Is that weight per pair I assume? I'd love to save some weight, and I'll probably be upgrading the shocks this summer anyway. Nice looking pieces.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Let me know what you do for the spring retainers. I've got a set of those arms in the garage, and I'd like to put them on my bird with a lightweight set of spring seats.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would def be interested in one of thise spring seats. Thats the only thing i need before i powder coat my LCA's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Questions for the computer guys/gals. I have pictures of my mark 8 lca and my new perches but can not figure out how to attach them to this post. Any help??

Mike Tuck

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
This link should help you upload the pics to the net (if you havent already) and will show ya how to post them. If you dont feel like doing all of that you could email them to me ([email protected]) and I'll post them for you :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nice job! very nice:cbones:-Rob

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Mike how did the ride height end up turning out with the perches that tall? Should they be taller or shorter or did you nail it right on the first time?

-J

·
Registered
39 Posts
Guys,

Ride height checks will come next month when I get my tires. The height should be correct, I actually measured the spring pocket area of each and calculated the differences. That is why the spring perch is at a angle. I will probably make some for a group buy once I finialize that the design in correct.

Mike Tuck
Super XR7
[email protected]

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Mike,

If and when you organize a group buy, please contact me at [email protected]. I am interested in at least one pair.

Thanks,
Rod

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Got a ballpark of what a pair might cost us if you do a group purchase? I'd be interested in a pair if the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am going to work on getting pricing on the aluminum and estimate the CNC lathe time. But first I need to check ride height. I ordered my tires and will have them in on 2/17/04. I finished putting the rear back together today and everything looks real good, I will be working on getting the brakes ready this week. Man this car is getting close to starting. It has been almost two years since the last start!

Mike Tuck
89 Cougar XR7

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Yeah, if the price is right, I'm all over those :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts