TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a 56 Ford and looking at a Mark motor for it. It has 100K on it is that too many miles or are they good for another 100K? It came out of a clean car. I am new to the 4.6 motors. I want something that I can depend on when we go out of town to the rod runs that wont give me problems. So I need to know before I buy one what to look for or if there is anything that goes wrong with them? Thanks for any help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The modular engines will last forever with regular oil changes. :thumbsup:

My 94 T'Bird had 284K and was running like a champ (before meeting its demise to a F350)
The 95 Cougar I recently sold had 160K on it and also ran like a champ.
My 97 LSC has 130K on it and still runs strong.

Many SOHC's have recorded 300K + miles in fleet vehicles. The main issue is the valve stem guide seals, but that was mainly the early 4.6L’s and I’m not sure if it applies to the early DOHC’s or not.

Personally I wouldn't pop it open since most of the bolts can't be reused. But I would run a compression check and a leak down test just to confirm the condition of the sealing capabilites of the combustion chamber!! :thumbsup:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Early DOHC's (the "A" heads) have problems with valve springs breaking. It would be a good I dea to change them out if it's a 93-95 motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4.6 motor

Thanks for all the help,I will run a test on the cylinders and check them. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts