TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, One of my friends are thinking of selling their 96 Thunderbird for a 95 mark viii, It has half the miles of his tbird, I personally like tbirds but he was wondering the major differences in them? Besides 205hp vs 280hp lol. Are they reliable as tbirds?
Any info would be great, Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,919 Posts
Weight. Lots and lots of weight.

Yea, I'd say they're as reliable as Tbirds. They're virtually the same car.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Weight. Lots and lots of weight.

Yea, I'd say they're as reliable as Tbirds. They're virtually the same car.

They aren't that much heavier. A Mark VIII is usually ~3820 lbs. How heavy are stock T-Birds? 3750?

I'll have to weigh my cars, I have a 1995 Bird & a 1995 Mark VIII LSC

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Air ride adds expense to the suspension, extra accesories make more stuff to break. For the most part the cars are the same, the motors are about as reliable, maybe just a little less on the early models with the small oil pickup. I do see more markVIII's that have had motors replaced than thunderbirds.
Alan

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I bet there isn't 200 pounds difference.

aluminum block, pumpkin, and lower rear arms versus iron probably offsets the heads, and there likely isn't that much more sound proofing, or electrical switch gear for the differences.

They have a few different weak links than the MN12, like air suspension (fix it, or get a swap to regular shocks/coils), blend door (not sure if that is a 95 thing or not) and the surround on the rear window seems to shrink up and look like lasagna noodles (but to be fair, it all fell off my 89 Cougar, so just the shear size of it makes it worse).

For me it is Cougar with DOHC > Mark VIII > Cougar > Thunderbird. If that Mark VIII is is better shape (and not just lower miles) then it probably wouldn't be a question, I would do it in a heart beat.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I bet there isn't 200 pounds difference.

aluminum block, pumpkin, and lower rear arms versus iron probably offsets the heads, and there likely isn't that much more sound proofing, or electrical switch gear for the differences.

They have a few different weak links than the MN12, like air suspension (fix it, or get a swap to regular shocks/coils), blend door (not sure if that is a 95 thing or not) and the surround on the rear window seems to shrink up and look like lasagna noodles (but to be fair, it all fell off my 89 Cougar, so just the shear size of it makes it worse).

For me it is Cougar with DOHC > Mark VIII > Cougar > Thunderbird. If that Mark VIII is is better shape (and not just lower miles) then it probably wouldn't be a question, I would do it in a heart beat.
Gen1's have fiberglass hoods also.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
The weight difference isn't much at all, loaded SCs probably weigh as much if not more actually. The most difference in them is a handful of extra modules and wiring. The motor weighs about the same as the iron block SOHC with the plastic intake, so there's not much savings up front but elsewhere there's lots of weight saving features that offset the weight of the features. The seat frames are even made from aluminum.

My car weighed almost dead on at 3750 when I had it weighed, and it has literally every factory option and feature added to it I could adapt. Considering I still have the iron block/Pumpkin/LCAs, that will come down even further into the 3600s with the aluminum mark pieces. There's no way the mark has 400lbs of extra sound deadener and seam sealer.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
The weight difference isn't much at all, loaded SCs probably weigh as much if not more actually. The most difference in them is a handful of extra modules and wiring. The motor weighs about the same as the iron block SOHC with the plastic intake, so there's not much savings up front but elsewhere there's lots of weight saving features that offset the weight of the features. The seat frames are even made from aluminum.

My car weighed almost dead on at 3750 when I had it weighed, and it has literally every factory option and feature added to it I could adapt. Considering I still have the iron block/Pumpkin/LCAs, that will come down even further into the 3600s with the aluminum mark pieces. There's no way the mark has 400lbs of extra sound deadener and seam sealer.
Hey do you think you could swap the lower seat frames from a gen1 mark? What part is actually saving the weight. Ive taken apart a bird frame pretty good so Im familiar with that.

·
Super Moderator
9,180 Posts
Yeah, the air ride and the HEADLIGHTS! HEADLIGHTS! They weigh about the same.

The headlights are terrible, they like to melt and light output goes to practically nil. 95 IIRC got the clear lenses and HIDs so they should be okay, but take a good look. The air ride is nice when it works, but it can become a money pit fast.

Aside from that, I like the Mark VIII just about as much as the T-bird.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
Hey do you think you could swap the lower seat frames from a gen1 mark? What part is actually saving the weight. Ive taken apart a bird frame pretty good so Im familiar with that.
I only can confirm the backs are aluminum, I didn't get a good look at the bottoms. I'm going to rip a set apart and try to graft them into my SC seats though:)

·
3,868 Posts
I only can confirm the backs are aluminum, I didn't get a good look at the bottoms. I'm going to rip a set apart and try to graft them into my SC seats though:)
Goodluck even if you can stretch the bladder for lumbar there is no place for bolsters to bolt onto. The seat back frames couldn't look any more different. Also the manual side spring for recline may bolt up to the back as well but the lock in bent hook placement on the other side isnt even close. You are way better off try to fab up a new seat back. The SCs seat back are really heavy Ill agree. You should just consider cutting out the dead weight in one and JB weld it LOL.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
ooh I thought the recline side was different too, this will be easier than I thought :D

Anyway we'll see, I'll grab a set out of the yard regardless and play around with them a bit. I know I'll have to make some significant tweaks but I'm no stranger to it. The aluminum frames are riveted together so any adding or trimming can be done in a similar manner. So long as they're as strong and as functional they'd be good to go, they seem to be the same width/height/depth.

If not I'll hole saw the stock ones lol

·
3,868 Posts
ooh I thought the recline side was different too, this will be easier than I thought :D

Anyway we'll see, I'll grab a set out of the yard regardless and play around with them a bit. I know I'll have to make some significant tweaks but I'm no stranger to it. The aluminum frames are riveted together so any adding or trimming can be done in a similar manner. So long as they're as strong and as functional they'd be good to go, they seem to be the same width/height/depth.

If not I'll hole saw the stock ones lol
I forgot I took apart a mark seat back and played with the idea bt found it to be so far off when I tried to meld it with the SC seat bottom frame that I jsut gave up. I wished it was swapable but the mark back maybe too wide IIRC but regardless you could see how its made and remake it for the SC if you want to get into any fabbing.

Sort of like Chinese reverse engineer it....or a hole saw is good too.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
His tbird is in good condition, He just fancys the black and steathness of the mark viii lol.
So besides being more electrical and roughly the same weight it all kind of depends on prefrence huh?
Here is the link to the car.

http://www.siouxfallsford.com/used/LINCOLN/1995-LINCOLN-Mark+VIII-97717d6a0a0d048d0146e161d3ac4eb7.htm

Were debating on driving and checking it out this weekend, All the way across the state lol. Lemme know what yall think.

Does anybody have anyway of running the vin to check for any history?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
$5K sounds like a lot of money for a 17 year old luxary car unless its intake has gold in it. I would buy something better on gas if it were me.

·
Super Moderator
9,180 Posts
Yeah, really. I wouldn't spend more than 3000-3500 on that, being it's from a dealer. I got our Mark for $1900; it needs a front end rebuild and it had a leaky air bag, but aside from that it was in pretty good shape overall. Even then we'll probably have 3-4k total invested in the car by the time all its little problems and maintenance issues are taken care of.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
That car looks like a $3000 car to me. Its nice and all, but its older and may need some work after you buy it.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts