TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering..............BONE STOCK. what year did the Mark VIII had the most power. Just wondering, because i am considering a swap in the near future, and i was just tring to get an idea of power. I know all web sites like car-stats.com have no clue what they are talking about. So seeing you guys seem to know a great deal about anything that is MN-12 related, I figured i would try here first. Thanks

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/

This site says the LSC models are rated with the most HP, 290 compared to 280 for non LSC. I dont know that if you are gonna do a engine swap, that the stuff from the LSC making it 10 more HP will be tranferable to a swap in your car. I mean I think its intake and exhaust that they get it from so you wouldnt see that when swapping because exhaust is different in the bird.
Look around that site though for lots of info on the MarkVIIIs and I am sure someone here might even reply with info on the ones here that have done the swap.

good luck

-Shawn

·
Registered
965 Posts
Before taking on the 4v swap I would seriously consider doing a PI head or PI engine swap. From the Dyno sheets I have seen, the PI's and 4v's make about the same peak #'s with the PI's holding a broader HP and TQ curve. PI swaps are a little less labor intensive also......

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well you say go with a pi head swap. Ok i have a 4.6 sitting right now out of a 95 bird So say i build it up nice. Forged pistons and rods/PI heads/svo intake manifold/ and maybe a supercharger with low boost? how would that be compared to a 4V with a some boost? Im just getting curious.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
A 4V has a super flat torque curve but has less peak torque by quite a bit than the 4V. From a PI motor and my 4V at the Chicgo dyno tune, the PI engines run was started at 1700 and my run was started at 2200 so I don't know what goes on before that point, but at 2200 the 4V had a little more torque but it didn't take very long after that for the PI motor to surpass it and run away by quite a bit (like 20 ft-lbs difference peak).

The LSC's has 10 more HP that I have always heard is attributed to the exhasut. The reason the Mark and Bird have differnt exhaust is because the manifolds come down differently, thus with a Mark motor you could use a Mark exhaust although I don't know why you want to use a stock exahsut system.

From anything I have read, the first gen Marks run better times. I am not sure if this is engine related or if the 2nd gens were heavier or what. It seems though from what I have seen the earlier Marks run quicker.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is kinda off topic but, I was checking out the markiii.com web site. They really have some good info like total production numbers for each year & other neat stuff. Maybe someone can compile some trivia info for Tbirds & cougars and put it on tccoa.com web page.

W.Cup

·
Registered
178 Posts
not to nitpick, but the real LOD has moved to www.mark8.org

as for your swap,
you would probably want a 1st gen motor, because the intake isnt as tall and should clear a stock mn12 hood.. the 2ng gen is a bit taller and wont fit with out some notching of the hood.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The second gen Mark intake won't fit under an old MN-12 hood. However, when the Mark got a bigger intkae and a bigger hood, so did the Thunderbird. I can't say for sure but I think any Mark engine will fit under a 96-97 hood without modification.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts