TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it make a difference if i swap out my old rear end for one off a 93 mark 8? the reason i asked was because i saw someone with a white bird on here who changed everything down to the irs from a mark 8. i was just wondering is it worth the trouble..

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Depends what you have now...

The rear end housings are identical (I think) unless you have a NA 3.8L (which is a 7.5 vs. the 8.8 in the SC, V-8 T'Bird, and Mark VIII)

So unless you are upgrading to better gears or a posi from non-posi I don't see any benefit. Assuming yours isn't giving you any problems.

The FMS (or, what ever they are called now) and the Cobra housings are made of Aluminum and thus lighter. So they would be an upgrade.

Hope this helped. Just my .02.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
so

the 3.8 NA are a 7.5 rear. Will the outside knuckles fit a V8 on conversion?

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Mark VIIIs pumpkins are Aluminium also....

Everything is the same unless you have the 3.8 which has a 7.5.The lower control arms are aluminium also compared to the steel ones in the T-bird.That is basically the only difference.It is a direct swap.
Chris

·
2,530 Posts
Not true........

Danimal said:
the cobra pumpkin is not a possibility for a swap as it has different mounting points.

-danimal
The pumpkin itself will fit but the rest of the lower arms and stuff wont.Maybe we have different versions of pumpkins but what I call a pumpkin is the housing for the gears and dif.
Chris

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Ok, which is it??

I thought the housing (pumpkin) was the same from the cobra and the FRRP aluminum housing.

Since I bought one for my 3.73's, I'm REALLY hoping it is! (And if not: "Have Cutting Torch Will Travel"..... Anything can be made to fit in anything..)

I guess I'll let everyone know in a month or so when i go to install it :(

·
2,530 Posts
Re: Ok, which is it??

94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
I thought the housing (pumpkin) was the same from the cobra and the FRRP aluminum housing.

Since I bought one for my 3.73's, I'm REALLY hoping it is! (And if not: "Have Cutting Torch Will Travel"..... Anything can be made to fit in anything..)

I guess I'll let everyone know in a month or so when i go to install it :(
Trust me,it is the same.It even says in the Ford Racing catalog the Cobras housing will fit in the Mark VIII,Thunderbird and Cougar.
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts