TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my Mark VIII. I’ve got three out of four hubs swapped to put Mustang wheels on. The right rear is stuck and currently no amount of heat, liquid wrench, 7 ton 3 jaw puller can break it free and I’ve been working on it for three days. Currently the axle and hub assembly are in my vice on my bench.

My question is can I get a hub/knuckle out of a MN12 (does it matter disk or drum) to replace the hub and axle. Are they the same as the FM10? Are there any axles in the MN12 that match the FM10? I’ve read that many of the MN12 are smaller diameters. There aren’t many Marks in the yards around here.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
7,693 Posts
The knuckle from an MN-12 will work. Disc and drum cars use the same knuckle, but if it is off a drum brake car you will have to measure and drill out the 2 holes for the caliper mounting bracket. As for axles, the 97/98 MarkVIII has the strongest stock axles, with SC axles being the second best, and only slightly weaker than the 97/98 MarkVIII axles.

With that being said, have you tried using a press? Also is your problem that the hub is stuck in the bearing, or is it that the axle is stuck in the hub? In either case, I think a press would be your best bet to get it out.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
axle

Hi

Do you drag race you car?

If No, Then don't worry about axle size. I run the small V6 axles in my 1990
Circle track car. Factory stock class. I have not broken 1 yet:zmonkey:

Put the knuckle & axle in until you get the old 1 apart.

I had my rear hubs redrilled & redrilled my rotors this spring.
Drill a rear knuckle as Mike said. (cooked a rear bearing)

:wavey:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a daily driver. I have to press the hubs out anyway, so pressing the axle out is a great idea. The axle is seized at the splines of the hub.

I like the idea of subbing in a Tbird setup until I get the other fixed too. I need to drive the car. Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Good stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By going to the JY and getting a 91 SC hub/knuckle, I was now fearless about how I treated the original knuckle and started putting heat under the hub(instead of around the flange) right next to the aluminum knuckle and bearing. That heat caused it to break free and now I have the Mark axle.

Thanks for the input, guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts