TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking through past threads but I couldn't find an answer on this. I just ordered the FRPP pumpkin kit that JustinH was selling.:D and I was going to go with a Mark VIII torque converter, but would I be better off goin with a higher converter. maybe a 3000 stall? but i thought I read somwhere that when you get into about the 3000 stall range you might have to replace other parts just to make it work. also does anybody know if the Mark VIII T/C and Mark VIII Flex plate bolt right on without any other mods needed, or do I even need the Flex plate? don't the Cougars and Mark VIII's have different crank shafts? Sorry bout all the questions but i don't wanna have to do this work more than once. If i'm full of sh*t on some of the stuff I was tryin to explain then just straiten me out. thanks for all the help on this...... Geez I feel like a Newbie!!!!:(
MercCat_XR7

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Mark8 and TBird both use a 6-bolt crank.
The Mark8 flexplate bolts right on,and is needed due to the smaller stud pattern on the t/c to flexplate studs.
It's a direct bolt on,and makes a nice difference.
If you want real fun..get a 3K stall speed convetor...:D
JL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can sombody that has swapped the original t/c for a mark t/c tell me what kind of differences they found from switching. (stall speed and time diff.). cause i don't wanna spend the $ for this converter and then not really help me out too much. if there is a better converter that i can get withought needing to do any other mods just to use the converter i would really appriciate it if you could fill me in on what they could be and what kind of gains i could expect. thanks for all the help.
MercCat_XR7

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
MercCat_XR7 said:
Can sombody that has swapped the original t/c for a mark t/c tell me what kind of differences they found from switching. (stall speed and time diff.). cause i don't wanna spend the $ for this converter and then not really help me out too much. if there is a better converter that i can get withought needing to do any other mods just to use the converter i would really appriciate it if you could fill me in on what they could be and what kind of gains i could expect. thanks for all the help.
MercCat_XR7
Just to keep some others from saying it..
Search works well..
Now that we have that out of the way...
I swapped my OE t/c out for the mk8 t/c,and picked up 4 tenths in the 1/4 mile..and it stalled in my car at approx 2500 rpms.
It's a good results:money swap.
JL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Johnny...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts