TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinken about getten a Mark VIII
are there any problems with any years, like headgaskets or anything that i should know about before i get myself into something i don't want

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
From what I've gathered:

The 93 - 96 are the fastest (maybe due to the change in the intake design)

The early 93 – 95 (?) have a problem with the secondary tentioner bleeding down, letting the secondary chains rattle a little at startup. Not a problem as no damage is occurring and it goes away with oil pressure.

All probably have or will have some type of transmission problem. :D

All may have air ride suspension problems.

All have lots of electrical “gadgets” that might give problems.

Personal opinion is that the 97/98’s look the best, but they are also holding their value a lot better than the 93 - 96 models.

I’m planning on getting a 97/98 next year so I’ve been trying to keep an ear/eye out for things to look for. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yup! That facts page is great...had all of those things in mind when I picked up my Gen 2 last month. Keeps you out of the expensive repairs right off the bat...although (as hinted to above) these cars are a little more expensive to maintain than the T-Birds are.

Personally I like the gen 2's (but I'm biased). If you don't get a gen 1 LSC, the headlights are real dim without the HID's.

The big differences between the gen 2 LSC and base models: 3.27 gears, perforated leather seats, dual exhaust, color matched trim, badging, thicker sway bars and 10 hp. I ended up getting a base model, and I drove both if that's any indication of the SOTP difference I felt. Saved $5000...

Good luck though...you'll love it!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I recently purchased a 1997 LSC (black on black, its a hot mother this time of year)
The biggest thing to watch out for is the airbags imho....to put new bags on all 4 corners would set you back roughly $1200 for the parts. (New ford parts..)

Then labor if you dont do it yourself.

But for me, its well worth it...I love looking out the window of my house thinking 'What will I drive today?'

·
Registered
974 Posts
I would suggest a 96 LSC. It has the hid lights, faster then the gen 2 :D . Good luck though, becuase everyone is trying to get a 96 LSC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts