TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to know what the major differences are between a regular markIIIV compared to a LSC. ive always liked them but if i had my choice what would be the better car to mod out to get the higher track times....

I know that The MARKIIIV's have a Tensik block, but is it just the LSC???
any help is appreciated.. im a cougar guy ya kno......LOL

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
The differences are as follows. What the LSC has that base model doesnt.
True dual exhaust. 3.27:1 gears instead of 3.07:1 gears. monochromatic color (no chrome). Perforated leather seating. (no pin holes).
Thats all I can think of for now. (only 1 one cup a coffee this am.) Oh, in the 1st generation,
95,96, they had HID lighting that all the others didnt.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
Were there cam differences, or did the dual exaust add the 10 hp difference?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never heard of a MarkIIIV.... :tongue:

Now if you're asking about a Mark VIII, that's a different story:

http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/markviii_facts.htm
http://markviii.org/psjs_faqs/09298819.shtml

Those pages should answer pretty much everything you would want to know. :thumbsup:

:D whoops! lol, so for you owners of the mark 8's what do you feel nessicary to check out on the test drive?? problem areas?
The Links were good but i wanted to know if there was anything else

·
Registered
238 Posts
Start the car, let it warm up, let the air suspension settle down, then shut the air suspension OFF. leave it off. do your test drive, and see how it sits when you get back. It should not have dropped noticably. Then turn the air suspension back on, and time how long the suspension compressor runs. Shouldnt run longer than 60 seconds. If either front corner has dropped, or the rear has dropped, you have a bag leak, or a faulty vent valve if the whole car drops. Vent valve failure is common due to the amount of humidity you pump thru the system. The vent valve is an integral part of the compressor assy.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The differences are as follows. What the LSC has that base model doesnt.
True dual exhaust.
????Never seen that one before????

SWS

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
if its a gen 1, plan to do something about the headlights if not equipped with the HID's. the housings are terrible for night driving. and the usual tranny issues because it still is a 4R70W. other than the already mentioned, just the usual leaks or unusual noises as you would check for any other car.

if suspension is shot, its not the end of the world, there is a direct bolt in conversion kit you can get to go to coils.

www.americanairsuspension.com best service you will find anywhere and a good price too

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i checked it out and everything seemed to be in great condition. i had him sit in the back, my wife in front and watched the airbags go up and seat after we got out. nice smooth ride, had a little trans shudder, not to worried about it i got a beefy 4r70w sitting at the house, no noises from the motor, you think that 4500.00 is a good price... 81K on the motor....

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/975373568.html

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Around $ 4k seems to be the going rate for these cars used .. a lot are typically well taken care of / dealer serviced / original owners, etc ..

Looks nice to me as long as the paint is still good.

And its only 2 years old .. ;)

Did you check this one out ???

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=1184463#post1184463

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, it looks nice but the high miles deter me.....

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
yeah, it looks nice but the high miles deter me.....
Yeah, I agree there.

I see these very nice 97/98 Mark 8's pop up in the local Craigslist from time to time for only $1000 .. they always say " Needs work / mechanic special " .. which means, it probably has a bad air suspension or something ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah some simple stuff doesn't scare me, air bags and such.

Does anyone know if my 4r70w trans, and drive shaft would bolt up to a 97 mark 8 or is the drive shaft longer? is the rear end the same IRS???

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
The rear suspension is basically the same, just the mark has aluminum LCA's and diff housing. The V6 4R70 won't work because the bell housing bolt pattern is different. I'm not sure on the driveshaft, but I think the V6 driveshaft is a slightly different length than the V8 shaft. As far as things to look for, obviously the air suspension, but also the blend door actuator is a common problem. It's a little $5 plastic part that breaks and you have to pull the whole dash out of the car to replace it. If it is broken, you will only get either heat or AC, but it won't change between the 2. Also check to see if the rear neon light works, as they are known to go bad. Also, check to make sure everything works in the power tilt/telescoping wheel. The switch tends to go bad, which could prevent the wheel from telescoping or tilting, and I think the only fix is replacing the whole tilt/telecope mechanism, which is very expensive. Check the tops of the door panels to make sure they aren't warped and coming up. Also, get under the back end of the car and look at a metal rack under the trunk. It holds some electronic components up, and is known for rusting out. Check the chrome on the wheels, if they are chrome. It sometimes gets pitted and the chrome starts flaking off, and when that happens it looks like crap, and it would cost more to fix than to buy new wheels. Oh yeah, and not to overlook the obvious, make sure the headlights work! New HID's are expensive!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have never seen a mark IIIV LSC. MarkII I have no clue...Weren't the mark 3's the granada based machine?
yeah some simple stuff doesn't scare me, air bags and such.

Does anyone know if my 4r70w trans, and drive shaft would bolt up to a 97 mark 8 or is the drive shaft longer? is the rear end the same IRS???
Is it a 93-97 4.6L?
Yes the rearend is IRS. It is slightly different. Most parts interchange or can be swapped in.
Alan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts