TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys,

First of all, does anyone have pics of a COMPLETE stock MAF? I think that the "stock one" that I have has been altered.

I'm switching back to the stock MAF so that I can get rid of the "lean code" that I'm getting on the stock computer when I'm using my 80mm MAF.

My second question is....was there a "secondary" sensor that comes off the MAF harness? It looks like it is a 2 wire sensor that is coming off the harness for the plug that goes into the MAF. If so, where does that go on the stock air tube?

I'll try and post pics of the sensor in question and also of the "stock" MAF that I have.

-Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I don't have any pics of the stock MAF. sorry, but I'm sure some will be posted soon.

As for the secondary sensor, sounds like the Air temp sensor. On the 97 V8's its a small sensor that fits into the airbox. It tells the computer what the temp of the incoming air is, thereby how "dense" the aircharge is.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Traveler,

I think that the MAF has been altered because it looks like it has been cut. I believe that the MAF has a bar that goes from the TOP to the BOTTOM.... It looks like half of that bar has bee cut out, and filed smooth....

-Josh

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I think that way back when folks used to do things like that in an attempt to get more airflow. What it really did was ruin the MAF because it ended up getting an innacurate sampling. I'll be working on my car today after 5:00. (new plugs and wires) I'll see if I can get some pics taken of the MAF while I'm in there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Seeing as forgetful as you are...make sure to disconnect the battery!

I think that way back when folks used to do things like that in an attempt to get more airflow. What it really did was ruin the MAF because it ended up getting an innacurate sampling. I'll be working on my car today after 5:00. (new plugs and wires) I'll see if I can get some pics taken of the MAF while I'm in there.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL very funny

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK.

Well would the "removal of half of the support shaft" cause the comp to come up with a "lean" code for each side?

I'm getting side A and side B lean codes on the comp. Based on that, it means that there is something wrong with the MAF, just don't know what is going on.

-Josh

·
5,650 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor? Granted removal of that post isn't recommended, but it doesn't mean that is causing the problem. Nor does it mean the MAF sensor is to blame for the lean codes. There could be misfires, a plugged fuel filter, a vacuum leak, just to name a few.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well according to the book, the most likely culprit if you are getting BOTH sides lean is the MAF.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
OK.

Well would the "removal of half of the support shaft" cause the comp to come up with a "lean" code for each side?

I'm getting side A and side B lean codes on the comp. Based on that, it means that there is something wrong with the MAF, just don't know what is going on.

-Josh
If you do a search for the MAF mod you will find plenty of my posts explaining why not to remove the backflow post. I wish someone would remove that whole tech article from this site. It's the worst thing you could ever do to a MAF. Yes it is more than likely the reason for running lean.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
i belive the plate is for reversion protection. So that intake reversion pulses dont get metered twice. Not sure if it would be a major issue but i think you have something else going on. If both sides are lean it dosent just mean the MAF. The fuel filter could be clogged resricting flow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts