TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might get a little lengthy. So I am sorry in advance!

This all started when I replaced pumpkins in my LX. I used to have a pumpkin with 373 gears, but didn't like the gas mileage. Therefore, I took out the 373 pumpkin and replaced it with the factory pumpkin. The factory pumpkin was sitting outside for about 6-7 months (or more) and got pretty nasty (muddy, dirty). I removed the cover, drained all the fluid, and cleaned it up. I proceeded to install the pumpkin. However, when I went to install the driveshaft bolts, the bolt threads were completely filled with mud. I would say that all four of the bolts would only go about 1/4 of the way in. So I removed the bolts, and bought a tap and die set. I removed as much dirt and debris as possible, without pyhsically removing the pumpkin and cleaning it again. So I put the tap and die tool through the holes about 2-3 times on each hole, thinking that would be enough. Well, when I tightend the bolts down, I got 3 of the bolts tightened nearly all the way. When I came to the fourth bolt, it would still only go about 3/4 of the way in. So I just kept tightening it and got it as close as I could to 100%. Just recently, the vehicle has been extremely sluggish in 2 or 3 gear. It actually makes the car shake horribly. Almost like it wants to completely die on me. It is only sluggish during low speed and light acceloration. When I floor it, it obviously isn't sluggish. Also, when I am at a stop sign, it sounds and feels like the driveshaft is going to break through the floor.

I guess my main question(s) is/are:

1. Could the driveshaft be bent?
2. If it is bent, what would the symptoms be?
3. Would it help if I removed the pumpkin and cleaned the thread holes?

I am really getting tired of her running this way, and want to get her fixed. She is my #2 baby (Jaime being #1 and Casper being #3), and hate seeing/hearing her run crappy.

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
42 Posts
my friends iac went out but that never happened to her, but my maf is going out and im experiencing the same thing, check on these two first before you go into a hellspin over a possible drivetrain problem

·
Registered
42 Posts
autozone. no. its on top of the throttle body. i'll try and get a pic today.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darrin said:
Could also be plugs, wires, EGR or torque converter shudder.
That is what I thought. But just last week I replaced all plugs and wires. Also, I replaced the fuel filter. It still does it. I think it might be the IAC also. I will see about replacing that.

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Scott, before replacing the IAC just pull it off and clean it (carb cleaner works just fine). As for the bolts and pumpkin I'd suspect that some of the dirt messed up the treads on the bolts, best thing to do is get new bolts.

The problem you discribe is clearly fuel/air/igition IMO.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Scott,

I got my IAC from a Ford dealer the SCCoIA does business with. Be careful you get the right IAC because there are 3 or 4 that Ford put on these 3.8s. Mine looks like the one Ford put on 4.6's. If I remeber right, the part number was the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts