TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the drive to work today, my car started to heat up when I was stopped at a red light about 1/2-mile from my office. The oil pressure dropped a little (to the hashmark between the 25 & 50) and the temperature jumped up. I saw and smelled smoke coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. By the time I got to work, I was dumping coolant. I parked, shut off the engine, and popped the hood and saw that there was coolant on the underside of the hood, on top of the battery, and on the coolant reservoir, and that the fluid in the reservoir was pretty much boiling. In under two minutes, all of the coolant had dumped out onto the pavement. A quick glance showed no missing/disconnected hoses and no holes in the reservoir itself. The leak seems to be almost exclusively on the driver's side. I checked the oil levels, they were okay.

Any idea what could be causing this?

The only other relevant information I can think of is that I drove from Boston to NY and back this weekend. On the return leg, I noticed the oil pressure was low and the engine temp was a little higher than usual. I checked oil levels and they were low, so I did an oil change and found that I'd had about 3.5 quarts in there. No strange texture or smell to it, it was just dirty. I changed the oil and added a little bit of coolant (I was just at the bottom of the COLD FILL line). I drove it a short distance (~10 miles) at low speeds (under 40 mph) with no problems. The drive to work is about 15 miles, almost all of which is highway driving which I did at about 70 mph.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D'oh. Shoulda thought of that one. I'm not sure, I'll check it out on my lunch break. What's the easiest way to get the fan to kick on?

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Pull the electrical harness off the left (passenger side) temperature sensor with the engine running. The fan should turn on.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. Where exactly is this sensor? I don't have my shop manual with me and I'm trying to figure this out in the parking lot at work.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
It's 2 wires, and he already has the location. A location is more definitive than searching for the number of wires.
You simply said right next to the alternator...they're both the same distance from the alternator. And earlier in the thread it had been said left and/or right side of the crossover. I was simply giving better details of WHICH sensor it is.

I know no one's stupid enough to look for two wires in the engine bay. K. Thanks.

·
5,650 Posts
You simply said right next to the alternator...they're both the same distance from the alternator.
master486 said:
Make that the right (driver side) sensor. The passenger side is for the gauge, so pulling it off won't do anything for the fan.
Reading is good for the mind. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Results at present.

It's taken close to two gallons of 50/50 antifreeze/water, but I'm about refilled to "normal" levels. No new leaks as of yet.

I ran the car, hood open and AC on, for about 6 minutes (until the temperature got to about the 210 mark on my temp gauge). The fan didn't kick on at all the entire time.

I shut the car off, let it cool for about 25 minutes, then restarted it again. I pulled what I think is the correct plug, and the fan still didn't turn on.

Here's a pic, circled is the plug I pulled:

·
5,650 Posts
Results at present.

It's taken close to two gallons of 50/50 antifreeze/water, but I'm about refilled to "normal" levels. No new leaks as of yet.

I ran the car, hood open and AC on, for about 6 minutes (until the temperature got to about the 210 mark on my temp gauge). The fan didn't kick on at all the entire time.

I shut the car off, let it cool for about 25 minutes, then restarted it again. I pulled what I think is the correct plug, and the fan still didn't turn on.

Here's a pic, circled is the plug I pulled:
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/2663/imag0089p.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Now you have to start troubleshooting the circuit. You can start with one of two approaches.

1) Apply power directly to the fan. This is the quickest way of determining whether the fan is bad or not.
2) Start tracing the circuit. There's a 60A fuse in the underhood power distribution box for the fan. Check if that is blown. If that's ok, you'd be best off using a multimeter to start probing the wires going into and out of the CCRM.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, Chris. About that fuse. It should be in slot 16, correct? Listed as "Blower Fan"? Because I thought about that too. There's no fuse there.

·
5,650 Posts
Yeah, Chris. About that fuse. It should be in slot 16, correct? Listed as "Blower Fan"? Because I thought about that too. There's no fuse there.
That's actually for the blower motor and other stuff inside the car. The fuse you should be looking at is #5.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, so Fuse #5 was only slightly damaged.

In pulling it, unfortunately, it pulled the blade out of the power box a little bit. I fear this may be a problem. Is there any way I can get just the new black housing for the power distribution box? It's a little melty around the base of Fuse #5. Or can I just move it to an unused location?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts