TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night, coming home from sacramento, I turned over 90,000 miles on my car...everything was just great...no problems what-so-ever...

I get back into town, turn off the highway, admittedly, I had not been paying attention to my guages....well, the check guages light flashes a couple times and then comes on steady, so I look down and my water temp is pegged in the red...I was a couple blocks away from home, so I turn into my neighborhood....by the time I go a block, I stop at a stop sign, steam everywhere when I stop, I start to go again, motor goes tick tick tick tick....

I get to my place, stop kill it, pop the hood, steam rolls off everything for close to if not five minutes...So I get to looking...it's getting dark...there is antifreeze on everything...

Turns out what happened (from what i see so far) is this...

the heater core is blown out and bypassed in my car...so the two heater hoses are connected to each other with some sort of coupler...that came loose or a hose broke, or a hose clamp slipped off, or SOMETHING, I'm not sure...I'll find out when I look at it in the day light...

A few hours after this all happened, I fired it up and moved it into the driveway from the street...it started right up no problems, I couldn't even get my hand off the key fast enough....it did idle funny for the short, short period of time it was on...

so my question is this...it wasn't real hot very long but it did get HOT HOT HOT....and it was going tick tick tick tick tick tick when I pulled in....think I did any serious damage? I haven't looked at the oil or anything for blown headgasket yet...I'll know more when I get a chance to inspect in the light...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was a couple blocks away from home, so I turn into my neighborhood....by the time I go a block, I stop at a stop sign, steam everywhere when I stop, I start to go again, motor goes tick tick tick tick....

so my question is this...it wasn't real hot very long but it did get HOT HOT HOT....and it was going tick tick tick tick tick tick when I pulled in....think I did any serious damage? I haven't looked at the oil or anything for blown headgasket yet...I'll know more when I get a chance to inspect in the light...
My opinion is that you likely did hurt the head gasket. Engines do not take well to being overheated, and you should have shut the car off as soon as you realized it was hot.

The same problem always occurs, people are "almost there" and decide to push it. Unfortunately, it often turns a $50 hose into a $1200 head gasket repair.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A few hours after this all happened, I fired it up and moved it into the driveway from the street...it started right up no problems, I couldn't even get my hand off the key fast enough....it did idle funny for the short, short period of time it was on...
If you didn't hurt anything major it probably idled funny because antifreeze got into you sparkplug tubes. Try drying them out with compressed air or you may develop a misfire.

Problem is that tick tick tick noise you heard when it was hot doesn’t sound promising to me. A real tick usually is a raw metal to metal contact. Since your car was very hot two things happen metals expanded past what they would under normal temps and oil thins and provides less protection. This is a double wammy because as temps rise above normal tolerances get tighter and tighter all while the oil is providing less and less protection. Get to hot and things start to rub, grind and hit against each other. Under extreme condition engines that run very very hot will lock up. Either way it probably wore something more than normal but that doesn't necessarily mean that the car is gona go tomorrow in fact it may not of hurt a thing.

Like said above gaskets hate over heating and they'd be my primary concern as of now. Still make sure to listen to see if you engine is making an ticks or knocks and it didn’t before.

·
Registered
519 Posts
same happened to me on my first tbird! Temp was pegged in the red and started to hear tink tink tink tink, pulled over immediately and turned it off, opened the reservoir and let it cool. It ran strong after It cooled and I fixed the coolant hose (bypassed). You probably put some wear on your piston rings and cylinder walls but it should run decent (hopefully)!

Well sir you learned a good lesson!!! WATCH YOUR GAUGES!!! Always! you have a old car and want to keep it nice you got to treat it nice! my .02

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, here's what I know so far....the coupler which bypasses the heater core hoses sheared in HALF...looks like I lost all coolant I'm off to the parts store in a couple hours to get a new one...and some coolant...we shall see

·
Registered
518 Posts
keep us posted man. bad deal

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, here's what's going on...I replaced the broken hose coupler keeping the broken heatercore bypassed. drained out all the old coolant, filled back up with peak 50/50 and water wetter...it runs great! No overheating, temp varies in the NORM range, but for the most part stays dead center motor sounds fine, runs the same as before and fires right up...

I'm sure being so damn hot wasn't good for it, but, keeping my fingers crossed, knock on wood, I think it'll be okay for a bit.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well, the trick is that these 4.6s are notoriously hard to kill. I overheated mine again and again and again and it was still running when I sent it to the junkyaurd. Of course, the stupid underdrive pullies definitely sped up the process.

Check your damn gauges.
Also, get a VMM with the LOW COOLANT function if your car has the wiring for it. My heater hose blew, and immediately my LOW COOLANT light went on, and so I decided to pull over and check it out and repaired the problem before it turned into something major.

If you drove as long as you did, you may have hurt the Head Gaskets. Once you get it back together and burp the system (there is a procedure for this, I don't recall how to get the air out of teh system), run it. If coolant starts spilling out of the reservoir and the exhaust is steamy (in combination) it's bad times.

Also, check your oil. If it looks like light brown (black is OK, transparent orangey/yellowy is OK) but opaque in a color other than black is BAD

·
Registered
120 Posts
if the ticking sounds anything like a sound a diesel engine would make then i know exactly what it is. the engine is so hot that the gasoline is combusting (due to compression) before the spark plug fires--just like how a diesel engine runs. also known as predetonation. the sound is especially noticeable when the engine is grasping for torque. i have a 96 and it's happened to me twice although i did not let the temp needle park itself in the red line. both times were accompanied with oil leaking onto the exhaust pipe/manifold area and making quite a smoky mess. check your oil. you might have lost some due to the engine block (cast iron) expanding at a slower rate than the heads (aluminum) which causes a nice little gap to allow oil through. low oil might explain the odd startup. anyways, i wouldn't lose any sleep over it. from what i hear the 96/97's can take the heat pretty well. my engine is as strong as ever and it's been 6 months since i last played with fire :)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I did loose oil...the engine runs just as well as it ever did...there didn't seem to be any lasting damage (knock on wood)

the only lasting effect seems to be that my oil leak is worse now...

·
Registered
120 Posts
losing oil is not a good deal but its obviously not the worst case scenario. idk why but i thought i saw you had a 96. we have two completely different engines so a lot of what i said above is irrelevant. i think ur block and heads are both cast iron. well good luck with all of that. from the sounds of it you might be ok though!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
losing oil is not a good deal but its obviously not the worst case scenario. idk why but i thought i saw you had a 96. we have two completely different engines so a lot of what i said above is irrelevant. i think ur block and heads are both cast iron. well good luck with all of that. from the sounds of it you might be ok though!
ok time to step in to clear up some grossly incorrect statements

even though you have a 96 and he has a 95, you do not have completely different engines

his heads are also aluminum, just as your 96's are....main difference engine-wise is that his 95 heads are a previous, inferior design compared to your "F5" 96 heads, and so is his intake manifold (which makes the top of the motor look much different visually

there are other subtle differences in the 94/95 vs 96/97 engines, but those are the most obvious

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Alright, here's what's going on...I replaced the broken hose coupler keeping the broken heatercore bypassed. drained out all the old coolant, filled back up with peak 50/50 and water wetter...it runs great! No overheating, temp varies in the NORM range, but for the most part stays dead center motor sounds fine, runs the same as before and fires right up...

I'm sure being so damn hot wasn't good for it, but, keeping my fingers crossed, knock on wood, I think it'll be okay for a bit.
I would get rid of that coupler if it's plastic. I've had 2 of those things cause problems in different cars. Either find a metal coupler or just loop one of the hoses to each engine connection. That's what I did for a few weeks when the heater core went out on my crown vic.

Rob

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to leave it for the time being...I would replace the heater core but I don't want to go to all that trouble to have it go again in a few months.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ok time to step in to clear up some grossly incorrect statements

even though you have a 96 and he has a 95, you do not have completely different engines

his heads are also aluminum, just as your 96's are....main difference engine-wise is that his 95 heads are a previous, inferior design compared to your "F5" 96 heads, and so is his intake manifold (which makes the top of the motor look much different visually

there are other subtle differences in the 94/95 vs 96/97 engines, but those are the most obvious
yep he's right. for some reason i was thinking that 96 was the first year ford had the 4.6 but it was 94. so i guess my post stands about the small gap forming to create an oil leak when overheating. also, i would assume this is not good for the 'ol head gasket. might explain why you're losing a little extra oil. something to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Aluminum heads are also prone to warping when they get really hot......I know!!

About 5 years ago when I first did my PI swap, I rigged my 2 temp sensor up to the stupid "T" fitting that everyone said to do back in the day and I was not getting an acurate temp reading from it. (didn't know at the time)

So Im going down the street and had the exact same thing happen to me. My car started to lose power, started to tick real bad, and even died on me and the whole time my temp gauge never got more than half way up

I got out and popped my hood and steam went every where and found out that my coolant tank cap came off and blew all of my coolant out. I put more in after it cooled down and it started right back up but didn't run so well. I spent the next few days replacing plugs, wires, ect and then about 2 days later I noticed coolant spitting out of the exhaust.

Pulled the engine and took my heads to the machine shop and had to have the both milled because they warped.

·
one in a million
146 Posts
I had a freeze plug blow out going down the freeway on my lunch hour.. Not fun..

got lucky. I was not far from a off ramp that had a gas station next to it..

cooled it down and managed to make it home.. overheated a little bit but no damage. thankfully.

It was the plug next to the motor mount on the drivers side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts