TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a CAD file for papajohn's clutch master cylinder adapter. I would like to use a different master cylinder than the stock thunderbird one. Or is there anybody that is willing to create the adapter?

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
Why do you want to use a different master?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I did my swap I used the McLeod slave and not the S10. I have been using the stock master cylinder for years but my foot is getting tired in traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I worked with medicalmike on the swap.
You can see our work here
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136870

Basically, the master cylinder has a diameter of 7/8" and when used in conjunction with the McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing, the pedal effort is ridiculously high.
It feels like the pressure plate from a stage 4 clutch when the car only has a stage 1 clutch.

Been trying to figure out alternatives with a smaller bore MC, like the 88ish supercoupe that had a 3/4" bore but since papajohn had success with the McLeod master (5/8" bore) and the McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing, we figured we could do that. The only problem was he made a custom aluminum adapter to install the master cylinder.
The drawing is simple, we just don't have the means to manufacture it.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
I would say start with the 87/88 TC master since that has the same style twist-in attachment. I'm actually not aware of any other master cylinder that uses the same style attachment, but maybe start looking at master cylinders for random Ford vehicles from the late 80s/early90s to see if you can find something that has the same style attachment but a smaller bore. If that doesn't work, I would think the simplest solution would be to modify the pedal box by cutting out the stock attachment point, weld in a piece of plate across it with a hole for the pushrod to go, then drill the 2 holes for the master to bolt to the pedal and weld some nuts on the backside so you can just bolt the master in from the firewall side. The downside to this is it requires removing the pedal assembly, which means removing the dash, and if it doesn't work, you can't easily go back to the stock master. Also, I believe you will have to either have an adjustable pushrod, or make a custom one since the length from the pedal to the master will have changed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MadMikeyL,

We actually already bought an 87/88 because it was cheap enough and it turns out that while it does have the same twist style attachment, the size of the square is smaller and so it does not fit in the stock cage.

The reason we're looking at making an adapter is as you said, a lot of work to modify the cage and if it doesn't work we can't go back.

Thanks for the reply, anyone finding this thread in a search should know the 87/88 is not a direct replacement.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
Good to know!

At this point, I would say give papajohn a call. He recently popped back up because his car got totalled, and he posted an ad with the car for sale with his phone number here

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=145146

Give him a call and see how much he would charge to make the adapter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts