TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to increase the max RPM of my 97'Tbird 3.8L?

Looking to increase RPM to be able to run a twin turbo with great potential with high output at higher RPM's

What do i need to do to be able to run higher boost levels than 9psi.

·
5,650 Posts
To increase the maximum RPM, or raise the rev limiter, you need to get a tune.

To run the boost that you want, you're gonna need a new engine. That 3.8 in your car isn't capable of handling that amount of boost. You WILL blow it up. If you want to run massive amounts of boost (i.e. more than 8 psi) you'll need forged internals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Perhaps start out with a SC engine. At the very least, you'll be starting out with a forged crank and rods. However, you'll still need a good set of forged pistons.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Cutting out some of the carpet underneath the throttle pedal could help? :D (Sorry, I had to do that.)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
master486 said:
To increase the maximum RPM, or raise the rev limiter, you need to get a tune.

To run the boost that you want, you're gonna need a new engine. That 3.8 in your car isn't capable of handling that amount of boost. You WILL blow it up. If you want to run massive amounts of boost (i.e. more than 8 psi) you'll need forged internals.

Why do you say that, With a safe tune the stock N/A bottom end is good for 111-12psi boost. Mines still living happily at 10psi for the last 30,000 miles and I see 10psi daily when I drive it to work. :D 112k on the stock bottom end. RPM kills the bottom end quicker then boost, just keep it under 6000rpm.

·
Registered
844 Posts
On kinda the same note, what's a safe max RPM for a stock 3.8?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The stock 3.8L will hold up great to 6500rpm without boost, but its done making power at only 4200rpm so there is no use in reving it past 4500rpm. Even my engine with a cam and ported heads needed to rev to 5000rpm before I lost power and needed to shift gears.

·
Registered
844 Posts
6500?! Wow, I've never felt comfortable taking it over 5

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i agree with rancher lee, these cars can handle a good bit of boost in comparison to other vehicles. i think the key is making sure you get the proper air/fuel ratio. ie - don't starve your engine of fuel if your going to use boost.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
your transmission is whats limiting your rev capabilities, well, that and your power band is only good up to 4500 anyway. But the torque converters balloon around 5000rpm. Too much of this will make it go kaboom. I'll admit I've taken mine to 5000 or even 5500 a few times, but this stock tranny has had it anyway, I could care less if it commits suicide.
-Thomas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts