TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knows what timing advance is the best. I have heard that 12 degrees is best but then i was told that 16 is better. I run 93 octane an have an msd ignition so detonation at more radical timing shouldnt be a problem.

93 5.0 lx
msd coil and ignition
3:73 rear gear
cold air induction
Lentech valve body

·
Registered
366 Posts
it depends on the motor... mine knocked at 16. at 14 is was under powered at 13 is was perfect. I ran 93 too... oh yeah.. and at 10 (stock) it would knock with regular

a friend of mine on a stock motor ran 21... i still dont know how the hell he did it. i even saw the light when he did it. and no knock on 93

·
Registered
366 Posts
oh.. i jsut read your signature... if you have an MSD 6a(l) get the adjustable timing control and its a snap to adjust it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since you have the MSD it shouldn't be a problem. Advance it until it pings. And play around with it. See where you get the most power. On a stock system I'm pretty sure the computer will compensate for anything over 14.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So... I have pretty bad spark knock, even with 93 octane.

I changed the fuel filter, cleaned the injectors, so now I'm wondering how I can change the timing advances. I'm sure there's better way to tune this that just with the "octane jumper" with a fixed 3 degrees retard.

Lastly, I'm also getting a "system running lean" engine code on both banks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
you're running lean AND getting knock? Not good... check your fuel pressure, and replace your regulator if there is a problem... and for god's sake DO NOT run WOT until you figure out how to solve the current problem... you might already be doing damage to the poor motor.. and BTW why are you posting to the 5.0 board?... your sig says you're a 4.6... go join the mod squad on the 4.6 board! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
yes, lean AND knock. Isn't that usually the case? Mixture lean == more volatile == premature combustion.

Anyway, I found what the problem was: My MAF sensor was dirty. There was a LOT of goob on it! Partly already there when I bought the car in 2001 (with the knock), partly made worse by installing a K&R airfilter.

I cleaned it with Windex and a Qtip, put it back, and bam, my 0-60 went from 11 seconds to 8.8 seconds! That's what I call a good mod! And the best thing, the spark knock is (almost) completely gone, it's only present when I have 4 persons in the car, going uphill, in 100F Austin, Texas. Finally I can get $1.17 regular instead of $1.35 premium again!.

I'm happy! My car runs as it should. I think. Power seems to really kick in at 3500rpm, and the car is pretty sluggish before that. Could be the stall speed, but surely that's not 3500rpm... Is 8.8 secs on a 0-60 normal for a '97 4.6l?

Anyway, on to the mods. I think a Dennis Reinhardt chip is the first thing...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah they go hand in hand, but what I meant is, is that running lean can be bad... and knock is bad... but you are lean AND have knock.. which is baaaad.. I am going to take a look at my sensor now :) good thing to check every once in while..

-Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts